eight

Azaan was immersed in paperwork when he got a call. It was from their children's school.

" Mr Hamdaani, you're required to meet with the principal within the next hour" a command was issued from the other end.

" Are my kids fine? Is any one hurt? Eshal? Bakhtiyaar? Musa?" Azaan was worried now.

" Yes Mr Hamdaani, you please try to reach the school within the next hour, Mr Yousef has a busy schedule" and the line went dead.

Azaan collected his stuff and car keys, ready to head out. There was no point coming back to the office. This matter would take up a lot of his time.

His heart was in his throat thinking about all the various possibilities. What if his children are hurt? Or in trouble? Allah!

Azaan released a breath he didn't even know he was holding on seeing his kids safe and sound sitting outside the principal's office. Although Eshal did have a scruffed look, her uniform was a bit dirty but over all they looked fine. Alhamdulillah.

He immediately gathered the eight year olds in his arms and kissed their heads.

" Kya hua?" Azaan asked Bakhtiyaar.

" Baba wo..." Bakhtiyaar began only to be cut off by Eshal.

" Bakhtii, tum chup raho. Tumne saara blame apne sar lelena hai. Main batati hu" Eshal held her brother's hand stopping him from saying anything.

" Esha, kya hua hai baby. Tumhe chot lagi hai kahi?" Azaan was at his wit's end now and checked her little body for any injury.

" Abbu wo humari ladhayi ho gayi" Eshal finally murmured.

" Whom did you fight?" Azaan was not surprised.

" Fourth grade ke ladko se" Eshal looked behind him and only then did he notice the other two boys sitting in the reception area. They did look older and meaner.

" Kya main wajah jaan sakta hoon?" Azaan was not one to blame his kids without proof. He knew his kids are sensible and wouldn't ever get into unnecessary issues.

" Wo dono Bakhtii ka tiffin kha jaate hai roz. Maine teacher se bhi complain ki par teacher ne unhe sirf warning di. Aaj lunch time me unhone Bakhtii ka tiffin bhi kha liya aur usse dhakka bhi maara" Eshal recounted the happenings of the day.

" Baba mujhe yaha chot lagi" Bakhtiyaar showed his scraped elbow and his eyes filled up seeing his father's concern.

" Mera bahadur Beta!" Azaan kissed his son's wound and that ceased his little boy's tears.

" Esha, Moosy Bhai se khena tha princess. Wo handle kar lete na baby. Ya mujhe call kar dete tum dono. Ye khamaka chot lag gayi tumhe bhi" Azaan wiped the dried blood off Eshal's palms.

" Abbu, Moosy Bhai aaj school nahi aaye hai. Unka science exhibition hai doosre school me. Baba lekar gaye hai unhe" Eshal informed him.

Azaan was about to ask them something more but they were summoned by the principal's clerk. He kissed their little heads and went inside.

They knew Mr Yousef personally. Musa is an exceptionally bright student and the principal is very happy with his performance. It was their eight year old tornadoes that are a cause of grief!

Usually it was Rayyan Bhai who was summoned by the school but as Eshal said he was out with Musa which probably was why the school called him.

Azaan explained to the principal what his kids told him and the kind man did not take any serious actions. They were left off with a warning. The fourth graders however will be suspended for a week for bullying little kids.