Chapter 4

Mama A'ee made everything worse, talking about how Minister and Baba aren't around to do anything. How Minister would have called the inspector silently to handle the case himself and how my Baba will keep everybody warm and off the worry of this trouble, he is the funniest smartest person I have ever met she said. But both of them died 5 years ago, first it was Minister who died in the early hours of July 23 after morning prayers, he sat on his resting chair in his sitting room counting the digital counter. Exactly two months later in September 23 Baba followed him, there friendship was not made here they always joked. Mama A'ee sigh, I noticed she was about to cry. So I moved from the two-seater I was on and sat on the hand of the fat cushion she sat on and held her hand tight with both palms. Mama it is going to be alright, that's what you told me and it will be. She leaned her head to my left rib and I sway over my left hand to her shoulder. We remained like that for a while until she pushed my hands away, jikinka da zafi, go away.

We all burst to laughter even Nazeera who was occupied by her Iphone.

My phone didn't ring till around 9pm, I was in the mosque then, praying, literally begging God because of God to bring my family safe back to me.

It was a different number and I picked with such humility.

"Call me Mamba from now on, we shall talk often. We are responsible for the kidnap

I will warn again, do not involve police in this matter and I promise you your family will come to you safe."

Hey, how do I know my family is safe? I asked him

Baba, baba I heard Sameera's voice from a far and shortly it cleared. Maamaa! Are you ok, yes daddy, I am fine even mum is here. They gave her the medicine, she is fine. Mama, are you sure?

Yes daddy, daddy I miss you. I want to come home. Where is grandma? She asked

That's when they ended the call.

I ran inside from the mosque that was closer to the main gate. Mama A'ee, Mama A'ee

She was watching the news and counting with the digital counter in Minister's sitting room when I entered. They called and I spoke with Sameera, they are all fine.

Did they tell you what they want? Mama A'ee asked

No, wai I should hold on we will talk often and I should not report it to the police if I ever want to see them.

Hamza called almost immediately. Kai, how far, did they tell you what they want?

A'a they didn't but I spoke with maamaa, they are fine.

Alright ina airport, I will be there in an hour. I have told General, he said we should come 7am tomorrow morning. Sai na iso, don't worry, we will deal with them.

I just want my family safe, that's all. kaji Hamza

That night I couldn't sleep, most of it was spent thinking about Aisha, my left rib, my definition of life, my wife, my monchi monchi so I call her whenever I miss her and she game-like it. She have brought me joy and complete happiness, never have Iever thought I will end up with someone so amazing. Baba used to tell me love isn't for people like me, every time I come to him about a failed relationship. He will ask, is this not your 88th girlfriend? I will reply hastily with the truth, it's 23 Baba. And he will laugh so hard and say

"Cute boy, great charm" love isn't for you boy. "Says a wise old man with one experience of love" I will answer to annoy him

I hated that statement each time he voice it but deep within me I could feel the truth in his words. One night we were watching "Discuss" a political gist program on television when Bianca knocked. Baba was closer to the door so he answered the door, good evening sir, good evening "Major", referring to me. I came towards the door where she stood looking at me like I am some fresh vanilla ice cream, we greeted and she said she only came to check on me, afterwards we bid goodnight.

Baba off the television and said... do you know why I always tell you love isn't for you?

Because you think I date many girls. I answered

No. he said.

It's because love comes to you always but you don't recognize it. You see son, the greatest love stories in real life come from need. The girl you need the most is the beginning of your love story. All these girls you think you love, is not love that's why you can't keep up with their mistakes and end up breaking up every time.

Guys like you, you are fine, charming and smart. For love to come to you and stay, you must wait for it, know your "need". I never fully understood baba until the death of Mariam, whom I thought was the only lady that could be with me. I needed a friend, a counsellor, a sweet talker, a motivator, a challenger, a partner, a good person and Aisha showed even when I never asked. She was my need and now my greatest love story. Baba is always right, and that moment I missed him so much and I prayed for him, my best friend.

By 6am I was already inside my brown Toyota Venza waiting for Hamza's call. It was 6:30am when I drove to his house because I couldn't wait anymore for his call. Few minutes to 7am I was in the compound, the small field that separated his house with his dad's, the General.

From the pigeon hole I could see my phone's backlight breathing indicating a call. I grabbed it out and pick.

... I told you not to involve the police

I ddddddidn't, I stammered in reply

Your friend knows and his father will and we both know what will happen afterwards. So call him and tell him exactly as I instruct.

I will call you by 10, be with your family then. So clearly all of you will know the consequences of voicing this out that is if you want your family alive, do as I say... ko ka dauki gawansu

Noooooo... Mamba, listen to me. I have been obedient since, tell me what you want... I shouted

He cut the call

I drove back to Mama A'ee, as instructed I called out Nazeera, and Lanre told them how no one should here about what's going on especially the police. Finally Hamza joined us and mama caught him by the ear, warning him not to forget her family as he did. He knelt and begged, Mama A'ee deals with everyone, she is soldier like, the kind of strong mothers our children might not have.

They called again while Nazeera was sharing coffee, the tradition in Minister's house.

Mr. Walid, I believe you are all in one room. While on call, Hamza stepped out through the dining room out to the kitchen, with his phone to the ears.

We need 2million dollars, that's the ransom and no negotiations.

Two what, are you crazy... I shouted

Shut up he replied

With the three families together, that amount is a grain in a big bag of grains.... he added

Should I remind you again?

You call the police, we find out and your wife dies

If you try to trick us, you will get caught, and your wife dies

You don't pay us by Friday noon, your daughter dies

You don't bring what's requested by Saturday, both of them dies

Good luck...