Chapter 7

Hamza came home the moment I informed him that the contract with the federal government is likely to come through, that same week the kidnap happened. I gave him benefit of doubt, on second thought I can't but believe he is involved. Hamza has been behaving suspicious, hiding to make calls and disappearing when I need him and even strange conversations on phone with regard to transactions.

Hmmm, I dropped a heavy sigh like Bantama, the akara seller at the junction leading to our house in Kodir, my hometown.Bantama is one noisy seller with plenty stories. Lie and truth swimming together like clean water full of crocodiles. She drops heavy sighs in between every story and clap her two hands with some skill and perfection like village women gossiping at the market square.

Butan shayi... I finally uttered.

Amma Hamza can't do this to me, I mean qut da qut he has been the only friend I have from the day we met him during Mama's birthday bash at Minister's.

There was one thing to prove my assumptions were wrong. I grabbed my keys lying on the foldable table and kicked start my damaged car now looking like a caterpillar carrying sand heavier than it can. I headed straight to Laneway Hospital few kilometers off Hamza's, where his dad was hospitalized. I checked the room where Hamza's father is; Amenity ward, room 6, an old man was on the bed sleeping, he had bushy white beards like old Indian gurus. I walked in and scan the room thoroughly but no one was inside with him. As I walked closer the man turned his face completely towards me which frightenedme. I was about to greet when I noticed he was still sleeping and guess what, he was not Hamza's dad.

Shegen yaro!!! I shouted, shaking my head in utter disbelief, anger and disappointment to be so betrayed. Oh, oh, ayah, danmaraya dani (orphan like me), I kept saying throughout my way home.

I felt heavy, weak and shattered, I was heartbroken, more than a new lover. This time I didn't go to Minister's because Mama A'ee is waiting for her ladies. She so miss them, I think everyone do, even Nazeera that seem uninterested in anybody's wahala. Blood is thicker than water still I don't think Nazeera misses Aisha my wife just for the love alone, Aisha is a true leader of a house, she is exactly like her dad. She helps Nazeera beyond just being a sister, she is always there for her. Among the properties shared from Minister's younger brother Ahmad Gulum was Bentley Continental, a very wealthy man too who had no child or wife during his death. His wife divorced him 10years into their marriage for having cancer which caused him the chance to ever have a child and he married not again. Before his death he willed most of his properties to his niece and nephews, among what Aisha got was that red Bentley she later gave Nazeera. And she enjoys the company of Sameerah,

Humrah who was still away in Canada showed more concern that Nazi, she had call several times wishing and praying my family is returned to me safe.

I was at home trying to reach Hamza on phone when Mama A'ee's call entered.

Hello Ma, ina yini?

Mey na gaisuwa kuma, ya kuka kare?

Hamza yacemin ka kai kudin ko, kana tareda dasu ne?

Emmm, Mama, zan kiraki yanzu, don Allah ina zuwa

How can I explain this to her, what do I tell her now that I have given the money foolishly and no call from the kidnappers?

I parked few meters away from home and sat staring at the dashboard, thinking, in utter agony of this unpleasant present scenarios. My life has always been laughter, jokes and smiles, Baba ensured that. In a month I have become a thing of pity, Baba's memories, Minister, times with Aisha, my very Sameerah all played liked pictures in slow motion and tears flowed freely while I held none back. I felt like a broken beautiful vase, not from the center though.

"All my life" by Phill Collins played on the radio as I drove home, down, hungry and sleepy.

"All my life

I have been searching,

For the words to say how I feel

I spend my time thinking too much

Leave too little to say what I mean

But try to understand the best I can

All in my life

All in my life

I have been saying sorry

For the things I know should have done

All the things I could say come back to me..."