chapter five

The reception was just as beautiful as the ceremony.

The ceremony had been held by the lake in the park near Dream's childhood home, and for the reception the guests walked the stone brick path to the rustic pavilion.

The photographer moved mercifully quick, getting pictures of countless combinations of the wedding party and their parents and family. Dream, of course, hated every second of it, but George and Sapnap managed to get him to smile in every photo.

Finally, they were released by the photographer to go eat. Sapnap and Lexi entered first, taking the microphone from the DJ to announce Dream and George.
"Let's make some noise for Dream and George!" Lexi and Sapnap say together, wasting no time.

Dream walks in with George on his back, both grinning, George holding on for dear life. The guests' laughter joins their applause, and Dream drops George by his chair at the front table.

Sapnap and Lexi join them, and as the caterers start bringing out the plates, Lexi stands up, tapping her knife on her water glass.

"I've always wanted to do that," she grins. "That's one of the two reasons I agreed to be Clay's maid of honor. The other reason is, simply, Clay is my best friend. He's always been my hero, even when he's acting like a competitive d-bag- yeah, I still remember the time you gave me a concussion playing dodgeball." She pauses, laughing with the guests. George's eyes are wide with shock, but he's laughing nonetheless.

When the guests have quieted she continues, "But I still love you so much. You are the best big brother I could have ever asked for. I already miss waking up in the middle of the night to you whistling like a tea kettle, or hearing you scream with literal terror, or overhearing you acting like an actual psycho when you're hunting George on Minecraft. And George, I just met you, but I think everyone here can obviously see how much you guys love each other. Take care of Clay for me."

The guests applaud as Lexi hugs them both and sits down to the right of Dream.

Sapnap stands up next, taking the microphone from Lexi. "Okay, this might be a little awkward because I have never met 90% of you guys," he says, motioning to the guests. "But I'll do my best. Uh, when I met George, I thought he was kind of annoying. Anytime I played with Dream I had to play with George too. I would have never guessed George would later pick me to be in his wedding, much less his best man. I thought Dream had that position locked down. Obviously, I was wrong about Dream's role in George's wedding. Anyway, George kinda grew on me, and now he's one of my best friends. I'm beyond honored to be standing up here rambling about how cool he is. That's all I got, so let's eat!" Sapnap grins and shuts off the microphone as he sits down, wiping his sweaty hands on pants.

"Was that good?" he asks. "I completely wung- winged?- it."

George laughs. "It was great, Sappy."

"Alright, good." Sapnap reaches over George to get Dream's attention. "Did you really give Lexi a concussion playing dodgeball?"

"Accidentally," Dream defends.

"That doesn't make it any better," George playfully scolds.

"I know, I know," Dream says, holding up his hands in surrender. "And I only did it once."

"Yea, because Mom wouldn't let you play any more," Lexi interjects.

George and Sapnap are in fits of laughter as Dream shakes his head, stabbing his fork into his pasta.
"Shut up and eat your over-priced alfredo," he mumbles, smirking.

Halfway through his meal, George was hit with another wave of nerves that Dream didn't fail to notice.

"What's wrong?" Dream asks, low enough that only George could hear.