08

"Are you going to tell me why you took me?" Tristan asked, all joking and fun nature pushed aside. "I want a real answer, Winston. Kayden said it has something to do with being your soulmate but I don't even know what that means."

Once Kayden had disappeared inside the house, Tristan had met up with the demon on the porch.

He had questions, and he wanted answers.

Winston didn't respond with anything more than a shrug.

"I don't get you," Tristan said as they walked into the kitchen. "Like, at all. You're so against me leaving and treat me like I'm a collection item and then you act for a bit like you're going to be less of a douche, and then you push all that potential kindness aside and won't even give me an answer!"

"You wouldn't get it," Winston said somberly. "I can't explain something you won't understand."

Tristan huffed. "I may not have graduated and have an quick temper and swear like I'm trying to be the voice of cursing for the rest of the world, but I'm not stupid. Explain it to me."

Winston was surprised by the determination, but he guided Tristan into the living room, pointing at a seat.

Tristan usually would have sat somewhere else or on a table just to piss him off, but he chose against it and sat down in the chair.

"Demons aren't like humans."

"Thanks, Captain Obvious," Tristan snarked. "I've been enlightened."

Winston growled, his eyes growing a steady red and smoke coming from his hands. "Do you want me to explain or not? Should I go get you some duct tape and put it over your mouth to remind you that you're supposed to be listening?" he asked, standing up.

"Fine, I'll shut up," Tristan said, crossing his arms. "Go ahead, psycho."

Ignoring the insult, which Tristan would probably call an adorable pet name just to piss him off, Winston took a deep breath and continued.

"Master Alastor, the lord of Hell, made all of his demons. Some are low ranking and your every day demons, but the ones living in this house are each one of the seven deadly sins."

"Let me guess: you're Wrath?" Tristan deadpanned.

Winston nodded. "Yes, and we used to live in Hell, but after a while we almost grew the desire to come to Earth and use our powers to benefit us and see what it's like to live in this world. Along with that, while we're on Earth, we get to have a soulmate should we choose. Every one of us sins chose to, and now it's a matter of finding them," he explained, looking Tristan up and down. "Humans can't feel the soulmate bond, but their demon soulmate tends to be more compatible with them."

"Your demon lord was a dumbass pairing us together," Tristan said in a flat voice. "We're both hotheads and can't stand each other, so can I get a refund?"

Winston looked really hurt, and Tristan almost felt bad.

"We get one soulmate," Winston continued, trying to push down his hurt and sadness. "And... well, obviously you're mine. I'll admit that we didn't start off well, but I want to fix things."

Tristan glared at him. "Fine. We can fix things when you let me go to the city, get my own apartment, get a job, and let this weird relationship happen at a human pace, not a demon's." He saw the reluctance in Winston's eyes and scoffed. "That's what I thought."

Winston sighed. "I'm going on a walk. Would you like to come?" he asked.

"No," Tristan responded, standing up. "I'm going to go find Kayden. Maybe he'll babysit me for you."