36

"Is your coat all buttoned up? It is! Good! And you know to drive safely, not too fast like my stupid son! He tries to be all cool like those car racers in Italy..." Isabella shot an amused Kaden, a look, her hands resting on my shoulders as she gave me a thorough pep-talk for my drive home. "Remember to keep your headlights on too and text my son as soon as you get home so he knows that you got him safely! Okay?"

My heart warmed and I laughed at her maternal nature, nodding my head, "Drive safely. Text Kaden. Got it!"

"Good." Her shoulders sagged a little.

"And you say dad is the overprotective one." Kaden snickered, nudging his mom playfully.

"Tch!" She elbowed him back in the ribs, shooting him a little glare, "I'm only making sure she gets home safely."

Kaden smirked at me, "You might want to run before she snatches you up for herself."

"Oh, go away you bugger!" Isabella scowled.

I laughed, shaking my head at the two as they argued playfully with each other. It all looked so easy between the two of them, they looked so close, like they could tell each other anything... It--It made me wonder if I would've had that with my mom too.

I know we would've had it...

"Oh!" Isabella exclaimed out of now where, clapping her hands together. "Emily, I want you to take some Cannoli home to your brother and father! We have more than enough and I know your brother would go crazy if he found out that I didn't send any to him." Giggling, she spun on her heels and raced back into the house.

I laughed a little under my breath, turning my attention away from her retreating figure. It seemed my eyes had a mind of their own because, within the next few seconds, I was staring at a certain stormy-eyed, smirking idiot and his wingman next to him.

Everyone has a story.

And only time is the key to unraveling it.

"EMMY BABY! Don't gooooo!!" Cole sobbed, sniffling dramatically. I swear this guy could snatch the crown of all drama queen's from me. "I didn't even get a full hour of cuddles!"

"Yes, you did! I let you sit on my lap for longer than just an hour too..." I deadpanned. "I even fed you your desert!"

"It's not enough!"

I snorted and Kaden rolled his eyes, flicking Cole in the back of the head, "You're so weird, man."

"Me?! You're weird!" Cole stuck an accusing finger at me, glaring at his best friend as he did so, "You have one more request! Come on, don't be a little sucker! Get her to stay! I demand it! This instant!" He stomped his foot a little.

Oh god. I forgot about Kaden's last request for me to ever be fully forgiven....great.

Kaden rolled his eyes, snorting a little, "You're acting like you have some huge crush on her or something."

"Well, of course, I do! She's MY Emmy Baby, after all! I saw her first and you can't have her! So," He poked a finger into Kaden's chest, narrowing his eyes critically, "Don't." poke, "You." poke, "Even think about it!" Poke, poke, poke, poke!

A wicked smile spread across Kaden's lips, "We'll see about that."

"I'm serious, Kaden! You stay away from her!"

"That might be a little hard, considering the fact that she always comes running back to me." Kaden shot me a wink.

"I think you're forgetting who you're talking about, Romeo," I smirked, folding my arms over my chest. He's forgetting about my awesome Jackie Chan skills too!