Hanaemi

Ayumu walked slowly from the station towards the gift shop where he worked as a part-timer. It was a fifteen-minute walk away from the station and twenty minutes from his apartment. Though the area where Ayumu lived was quite small compared to where his university was, it had almost everything needed from fancy karaokes to nice gourmet food. It was already half past 7 and the day workers were returning home, some of them stopped by for a few beers, others at family restaurants dropping by for a quick meal, few others picking up some groceries, the rest yawned on their way home while the night owls were getting ready for their share of work. 

 Ayumu always attracted attention whenever he walked by on a busy street, especially when he was by himself, well why not, human eyes revert immediately towards something beautiful. Ayumu's pleasant smile had the radiance of a thousand blooming flowers, which he often concealed.  People often mistook him for an idol or a celebrity because of his sharp exquisite features. Ayumu was scouted twice; once during high school and the beginning of his Master's. He politely refused their persistent invitations. Ayumu kept his head low and pulled up his collar to the cheeks to avoid the glances and paced up. 

'Hmmm... Waseda University huh? It's quite tough to get into it, isn't it? ' 'Though Haruto didn't look like a bookworm to me... It must be one of those easy-going smart kids.' Ayumu giggled.

Ayumu arrived at the store. A tall girl in her high school uniform with a maroon apron was serving two customers outside the cafe next to Ayumu's store. People who often came to the gift store were attracted by the fragrance of cake and tea so they took a bite next door. The cafe owner also displayed the poster of Ueno ya next door, the cafe had an exquisite collection of model cars and neon signs, the two neighbours go way back and are close, along with the other community folks and therefore supported each other whenever possible. Ayumu's store was located at one end of the street, there were few other 'Konbini' and medical stores and other cafes and private homes in between them.

Teruya Kaida was in her second year of high school and the tallest in her grade among all the girls. Apart from her height, Kaida chan was bestowed with big, dark, beautiful and tranquil eyes with thick long eyelashes which made everyone especially girls who needed fake eyelashes, naturally jealous and wishing they had had them. A lifetime would pass if she'd bat those eyelids once at you. The eyebrows added to her vivacious eyes that hid behind her glasses. She parted her hair into two pigtails gently falling over her shoulder and reaching her waist with a soft bang adorning her forehead. The apron sticking close to her crisp white shirt outlining her lean waist and the grey skirt reached her knees exposing the pale pinkish legs. She wore a focused expression as she placed the order in front of the middle-aged women busy on their phones. She noticed Ayumu walking towards the direction of the store and served the customers in a hurry yet diligent manner, hiding her urgency. She flashed a smile at them and asked them to call for her if they needed anything else. The two women nodded in unison and looked over to Ayumu.

Holding the tray to her chest she ran towards Ayumu "Ayumu san, you are late today, I thought you weren't coming, assumed you were kidnapped or something. Hehehehe."

"Teruya-chan your fantasies are turning wild day by day. Though you wish for my safety you shouldn't assume that I was kidnapped." Ayumu was heading inside the store and she followed him. As he opened the door a belled chimed in with a single ting.

"Tch, I'm joking Ayumu san." She said in a dead flat tone.

"Haha, I know!" Ayumu's teeth peeked outside along with the laugh. "Now, get back to work, let's meet later."

Teruya chan stomped her feet and left the store with another ting. "That guy, Imma kill him myself someday, flashing cheeky smiles abruptly, he's bad for my heart." She continued with her waitressing after taking a deep sigh as she approached a group of high school students.