Chapter Nine

"What? Why would you want to battle Peril AGAIN?" Snowstorm whined. "You're getting yourself killed, you know!"

"I'm glad you have faith in me," Moondrift said. "But I'm going to battle her for a reason. I'll use her own firescales to my advantage. Our advantage."

She shot Snowstorm a grin, making him look flustered.

"How?" He asked.

The door creaked open.

"Alright, you asked for it so come on," the same SkyWing grumbled. "Now, no delaying, Her Majesty's champion is already waiting and I want your death done and over with."

Before Moondrift walked out after her chains were uncuffed from the ground, but were still around her wings. The SkyWing turned, she said, "Wait,"

The grumpy soldier circled his head at her and raised his eyebrow boringly. "Yes?"

Ugh, I don't have time for this, grumbled his mind, receiving a scowl from Moondrift.

"I want my dagger," she said. "Can I at least have it back?"

The SkyWing hummed and looked at her suspiciously. "Why do you need that? You're going to fight a dragon with burning scales, it won't help you and you're going to die anyway,"

"That's what I said!" Snowstorm cried.

"What? You don't want me to die?" Moondrift mused to the IceWing. "Scared for me?"

"Pfft," he scoffed. "Sure. Go ahead. Battle that SkyWing."

She gave him an amused look and was handed her dagger, having a pleased spark in her eyes as the blades both shone sharply in her talons.

Moondrift and the SkyWing both walked out of the arena.

As she walked down the hall and looked back at Snowstorm, who sat there questioning what Moondrift was planning to do. His wings
drooped curiously and tilted his head as the door rattled shut.

"You're being strange," the SkyWing pointed out, guiding her down the halls. "Not one prisoner would request a battle with the queen's death machine."

Moondrift smothered a smirk as she walked down next to him. "That's how awful this place is."

The SkyWing snorted. "Well, at least Queen Burn will get to see you die. She doesn't really like assassins. But what she would love would be another dragon to add to her collection."

He squinted his eyes at her. "And a dragon with stars all over her scales would definitely make the top three."

Try not to kill him, Moondrift thought to herself sternly, frowning. Wait, did he say Burn? Oh no...

She looked up and saw Queen Scarlet sitting on her throne that faced the aren. Her orange scales shone blindly when it touched the sunlight. Right next to Scarlet, was a very large SandWing with almost a hundred battle scars. Her pale yellow scales reminded Moondrift of a desert horizon and her beady obsidian black eyes were darting across the arena.

The SandWing looked awfully grumpy as she tucked her wings in while she stood beside Queen Scarlet.

"Where are the competitors?" Burn demanded. "I came here to see blood, and I'm not seeing anything delightful right now. You said this battle would be more interesting than the other boring ones with barely any gore in it." She yawned.

When we try to escape, it might be more difficult with Burn here. She could easily rip off my wings because of how big she is compared to me. Moondrift thought, keeping her eyes on the SandWing.

She saw Snowstorm at the top in the open wall of the cave giving her a worried look that told her, Don't do it! You're killing yourself!

She turned away and continued walking until she was in the small, dark space behind the bronze gate.

Moondrift stood still as she saw the same SkyWing announcer land in the center of the arena.

"We have a rematch," he declared. "Here on one end, we have Queen Scarlet's undefeated champion, Peril of the SkyWings!"

Burn scoffed. "Someone who survived that SkyWing? That's a first."

The announcer continued, ignoring the SandWing. "And here on the other side, we have Moondrift of the NightWings and IceWings!"

Burn stood straight at that. "A hybrid? NightWing and IceWing? I thought they were at war, how could a NightWing and IceWing fall in love?"

Moondrift tried not listening to her and just paid attention to the announcer.

The gate opened and Peril's burning mind was giving Moondrift another headache. She blocked out her thoughts and tried to focus on the fight.

Moondrift could see the smoke rising from Peril's copper and red scales. Her eyes were glowing with blue like always.

"Hey, it's you again!" Peril waved. She looked down at Moondrift's talons and saw her dagger. "Ooh, you have a weapon. Not that it's going to do anything to me—"

"SHUT UP!" Moondrift hissed and bolted for her, being extremely careful not to touch her scales.

Peril frantically dodged and tried to touch Moondrift, who parried her dagger at the SkyWing's talon. The dagger didn't burn, it just let out some steam, then looked like it wasnt' even damaged.

The burning SkyWing jumped back.

Queen Scarlet gave a delighted look and Burn seemed to be interested.

"Now this is worth seeing," The SandWing said in a slithery voice.

Peril backed away, but her claws were ready to claw Moondrift to ashes.

She leaped quickly at the hybrid, who ducked and rolled, zipping to the other side of the arena.

Moondrift held up her dagger, which Peril was looking at with intense annoyance.

"Like my little toy?" Moondrift said, spinning it expertly in between her claws. "Well, it's fireproof, so go ahead and try to burn it."

Peril hissed and started fast towards her, she slashed her fiery claws in Moondrift's face, who leaned back and used her dagger and grasp Peril's arm.

The blade was slowly going through her scales as she didn't have enough time to react before Moondrift pushed her talon to the chains on her wings, which burned right off.

-986 Words