Chapter Nineteen

Moondrift didn't let go of her dagger, she didn't react at all. All she did was stay silent and kept staring at Wither, disguised as her 'father' apparently.

She didn't know what to say to that; she's never seen her father in her whole entire life, not even when she hatched, so how could she believe that this was what he looked like?

But what if it is my father? Moondrift wondered. What if he's still really out there? Does he miss me? Where in Pyrrhia even is he if he just left me with my mother?

She knew she could have just searched through Wither's mind and get all of her questions answered. But a dragon made entirely out of shadows wasn't exactly easy to read.

"Prove it," she hissed through gritted teeth. "Prove to me that that's really what my father looks like. I'm not like most dragons and stupidly jump into conclusions."

"Moons, I don't know, Moondrift," Snowstorm said beside her with an unsure look. "He really does look so much like you. Come to think of it, I think I've seen him once in the—"

But he couldn't finish, Moondrift decided to ignore him and leapt for the other dragon, though she nearly collapsed due to her severe wound that was starting to bleed again on her side. She limped, clutching her wound gently as she tried to throw her dagger at Wither, aka, her father, whose name she didn't know.

Snowstorm was about to run to help her, well, more like stop her, but Moondrift already pounced into the shadows and came for Wither. She tried to resist the pain burning in her flesh; she tried to not show any weakness, even when she's dreadfully injured.

Even if the NightWings aren't here, she thought fiercely, I don't need to show them I'm not weak, I just need to NOT BE weak at all, no matter how hurt I am.

Wither, disguised as her father, starting inhaling. A feeling of unfairness stabbed into her, which made her frown. He can even have their abilities! This isn't right at all; he could even shapeshifter into Darkstalker and have mind reading, seer AND animus powers!

She didn't know what to do if that happened, or if this transforming shadow dragon will soon have the idea of changing into Darkstalker and becoming his evil-er twin.

She ducked before the IceWing blasted such powerful frost breath in her direction that Moondrift almost got a whole bunch of deadly ice on her horns, which were an inch closer to the frost. She wished she had stronger frost breath or fire, but the closest she could get to a flame was a tiny, warm spark.

She was about to get up and slash her dagger down his throat when Snowstorm darted at Wither. Snowstorm was much smaller than him, but he was strong enough to push him down, well, to push him aside.

Wither growled and slashed his claws at Snowstorm, who dodged and leapt at him, making them both topple over. When the (good) IceWing found his balance, he tried to get up and pin Wither down, but he was larger than him, and at this point, he was also stronger with more powerful frost breath.

Moondrift sensed from Snowstorm's mind that he was afraid that Wither would blast his freezing death breath at him, so she yelled, "Make sure his throat is warm when he tries to breathe frost breath again!"

Snowstorm turned his head for a second as he struggled with the other IceWing to push him down. "What did you say?! I'm in the middle of trying to kill him right now!"

Wither balled his fist into Snowstorm's snout. The IceWing let out a loud, "OOF!" as his teeth leapt for the other dragon's neck. Wither ran his back claws down Snowstorm's under scales. Snowstorm roared in pain and sank his teeth into his neck.