Chapter 4

A/N picture of Alexander
******************************
I walked through the door of my house and there was Jackson. Looking at me with his sad, blue eyes and his sandy blonde hair.
"Cat, I'm so sorry we had to keep this from you. But it was so you couldn't make us stay." He told me.
"If you really cared about how I feel about this, you would've let me make you stay."
"Cat, you and I both know it doesn't work like that. Once your drafted, your going to war."
"Well you could've told me sooner! Do you have any idea how much more time all of us could've spent together? We could've made plans to keep you safe somehow!" I yelled at him.
"Caterina, I know Alexander proposed. That's all he needs to keep him going is your yes."
"Well clearly neither you or Alexander thought this through!"
"I'm sorry Catherine. That's just the way it is."
"You can't! i.. love Alexander!" I started to cry.
"I know. Just get over here and hug me." Jackson told me.
So I ran into his arms. He is always going to be the best friend I will ever have. Even if he's not here...
"Cat, I have to go now. I promise Alexander and I will write every week. The British camp is but a few miles away." I reluctantly let go if him.
"Goodbye Cat."
"Goodbye Jackson."
With that he left. I didn't know if I would see him again but all I could go on was hope and a prayer.
I decided I couldn't do much anymore so I would go back to my room and stay there till dinner.
As I was walking past Jonithan's room, I realized he wasn't there and it was a mess. So I went into his room where his neat, blue uniform, sword, dagger, and rifle were laid out on his bed.
I had a sudden thought, what if I hid the uniform so he couldn't leave? No that would be stupid and childish.
What if I broke the gun? No, he could get a new one.
Well, now what.
I sat in his room for quite some time thinking. Then it hit me. ' what if I took the uniform.' I thought. 'What if I went to war?' Jonithan and I were about the same size even if he was a boy.
I decided to wait until dawn to take the uniform and Jonithan's horse and make a run for it.
That's when I heard the bedroom door open with a bang. Jonithan came in and he didn't look happy. "Cat, why are you in my room?" he asked me
"Um..I..I just can't believe your leaving tomorrow, it seems so sudden.". I quickly lied.
"That's because it is sudden, for you anyway."
We just sat there for a few minutes in total silence. "Cat, Jackson asked me to give you this, but he doesn't want you to open it till tomorrow after we leave". With that Jonithan handed me a piece of paper which was rolled up with a string tied around it. There was a little grey box attached to the string.
"Thank you Jonithan, for everything"
Dinner that night was silent. No one wanted to talk or felt the need to break the few moments of peace we had.
Mother had made a goodbye feast for my father and Jonithan.
After we all ate, my father stood up from the table "now children, you know very well how war can be." He told us "and you know very well, that nothing is definite. I'm sorry children, but I'm not sure when your brother and I will come home next." With that, Laurel and Margreta jumped out if their seats and ran. Laurel to the stables, and Margreta to her room. Which left just mother, father, Jonithan, Beth, Arthur and I sitting at the table.
"Beth, Arthur, Caterina, I expect you to help your mother with the other children." My father told us.
"Yes father." we all responded.
"Goodnight children, to your rooms now. Except you Caterina we need to talk to you." So Beth and Arthur went to their rooms and Jonithan went to his which could be the last time in a long time.
"What do you need to talk about?" I asked my father.
"Caterina, your mother and I both know Alexander proposed to you, ad we just want you to know we will do our best to keep him safe. Him and your friend, Jackson." My father said.
"Thank you father."
"Good, and will you please find Laurel, she needs to get to bed."
With that I took a lantern and made my way to the stable.
"Laurel" I called out once I got there
"Come on we need to get. To bed"
Still no answer.
I checked by her horse, not there
I checked the hay loft, not there.
"LAUREL! RIGHT NOW!" Now I was screaming for her.
I checked one last time to make sure I didn't miss her. That's when I saw footprints leading to the ladder up to the chicken coop.
I climbed up and sure enough, there she was. She's just small enough to fit through the door.
"Laurel, that wasn't funny! You had me worried about you!"
"Why would you care, obviously dad and Jonithan don't." She told me.
"Actually that's who sent me to look for you."
" Well tell them to stay if they really cared!"
"Laurel you know they do, but they have other things that they need to do. But just remember nothing is more important than us to our parents ok."
With that I got her to climb down the ladder and we went back to our home.
As soon as we walked through the door, father sent us back up to bed. Not knowing that this could be the last time for me.