9

The days passed by for Deku in a hazy blur of unconsciousness. He dimly remembered random sentences the doctors and nurses had said to him, but for some reason, the words didn't really make any sense.

The days turned into weeks, and a nurse was talking to him while he was half asleep.

"The doctors are flying someone out to see you. They think they can fix your spine. Isn't that neat?"

But Deku wasn't really paying attention. Ever since he had gotten to the hospital, he was either asleep or high on painkillers, so he didn't remember much.

But he did remember Kacchan and Eraserhead sitting by his bedside when he woke up from a particularly long surgery.

The nurses had warned the two that Deku would be really out of it, and high on painkillers. But that meant nothing to the angry blond. All he wanted was to see his best friend, and make sure if he was alright.

As Deku slowly woke up, the vanilla scented anesthesia finally wearing off, his hand twitched.

Bakugo, who was currently holding Deku's hand gently, sat up in his chair. "Deku? You awake?"

The blond's words quickly stirred Aizawa from his light slumber, and the hero hurried out of the room to alert a doctor. And, also to give the two some privacy.

Deku's head tipped to the side, his eyes slowly adjusting to the bright overhead lights. He tried to say something, but only succeeded in a tired groan.

Bakugo chuckled, pushing back his friend's mop of curls away from his eyes. "How're you feeling, nerd?"

"Am I dead?" Deku finally managed to mumble out. His words were slurred and quiet. He had a massive headache and his whole body felt numb.

Bakugo shook his head. "Nah, you're in the hospital. You just woke up from a fourteen hour surgery. You thirsty? I got us water from the vending machine,"

The blond offered up a bottle of water, and Deku looked at it curiously, as if he didn't know what it was.

Internally shaking himself from the sleeping drugs his body had been pumped with for the past fourteen hours, Deku slowly extended a shaky hand towards the bottle of water.

But the boy froze when he got a good look at his arm.

His arms were encased in heavy white casts, his fingers popping out the bottom. They also were wrapped tightly in bandages.

Deku's gaze flicked down, his green eyes slowly regaining some of their clarity as he took in the rest of his damaged body. Both of his legs were heavily bandaged and had pins and needles sticking out of them, as if he were a cork board. Some were covered in dry blood, and some gleamed in the bright light. The needles and pins varied in sizes, traveling up and down his legs like a sick maze.

The sight made him want to throw up. His breathing increased. He hardly recognized himself.

Bakugo followed his friend's horrified gaze, and gently turned Deku's head to the side so his eyes were averted.

"Hey, I think water will help clear your head a bit," Bakugo said gently, keeping his hand on Deku's head just in case the boy tried to move away.

"The nurses said that you'd be full of painkillers and sleeping drugs, which make you woozy. They said water would help with that, okay?"

Bakugo unscrewed the cap on the plastic water bottle with one hand. He moved and sat on the edge of Deku's bed, positioning his body so the boy wouldn't be able to see his legs.