🔱 Chum Buddies 🔱

Y/N'S POV

It was a brisk, sunny, and calm evening at the beachside where my house sat. I stood at the back deck, overlooking the sand and sea with the nice breeze in my hair and the smell of salt in my nose. It wasn't really my house per se, but it was my Aunt's house. My parents passed away a couple years ago due to an event that I really don't want to get into; And it was, and still is, rough for me to deal with. It was a really nice place though, right on the beach. I could just walk right onto the sand from the deck's stairs. Two story house with most of the utilities on the lower floor; being the kitchen, living room, dining room, you get the picture. The upper floors had the bedrooms, the den which held a pool table, a large television and a long couch, and the laundry room. To be honest it was a great house to live in, though when tourists came around, the entire beach town got busy so it was hard to get around anywhere. I sighed to myself after a couple more minutes of leisure before going inside the house to find my Aunt making dinner. She stood in front of a large pot, stirring with a large wooden spoon. The sounds of the boiling broth sounded somewhat soothing. She normally made really good food for me.

"Hey Auntie, whatcha cooking?" I asked her. I couldn't really tell what it was she was making; Must have been new. I took a whiff from the back door. "Dang, that smells really good, what is it?" It had a nice savory smell, but with a hint of salty. It smelled very familiar.

"It's homemade chicken noodle soup. Haven't made this in a good while, and I sure haven't made it for you yet, so I decided to make it."

"Oooh, haven't had chicken noodle soup that wasn't from a can before, sounds good."

"I made enough so we can have the leftovers for tomorrow. It'll be done soon, so stay down here until it's done, okay?"

"Alrighty."

"So, how does it feel to be fifteen now?" She looked back at me as I sat at the small table next to the kitchen.

"It's not bad. I can technically get my permit to drive now, right? Kind of excited actually. I've been thinking about my first car."

"Oh? And what is it you were thinking about?"

"I dunno, I really like the Nissan Skylines, or maybe a Ford GT, or a Rolls Royce, or maybe a... "

"Woah there, kiddo. Those are expensive... And a bit too much for you as a first car." She got some bowls out and poured in the soup, before bringing both bowls over to the table.

"Maybe a Civic then? They're pretty cheap and reliable."

"We'll see." She winked a bit as she sat down in front of me. I picked up my spoon and had my first taste. "So? Whaddaya think?" She asked me.

"Mmmm, this is really good. Thanks, Auntie!"

"It's no problem at all." We kept eating and talking for a good while before we both finished a couple bowls. I got up and helped her clean up the meal and dishes. Afterwards, I went upstairs to listen to the TV play while practicing some pool.

It soon became night and I was in my bedroom playing video games while my Aunt was in her room, fast asleep. I planned on pulling an all-nighter, playing video games to my heart's content, but I grew tired and my eyes started to close on their own. I decided to pause the game and walk downstairs to grab a soda to keep me caffeinated. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I turned right to enter the kitchen, opening the fridge to grab a can of Mountain Dew. After closing the fridge, I walked over and opened the back door, walking out to the back deck with the door closing on its own behind me. I cracked it open and drank about half the can. It was nice. The night was cool, the air was crisp with the scent of the salty ocean, and the moon shined brightly in the sky, the water reflecting the light from the sun-lit moon. I sighed to myself while leaning on the wooden railing as I took another sip. I looked out to the left to see the long pier in the distance. As soon as my head looked to the right, I saw something on the ground right where the ocean water met the beach sand. I couldn't tell what it was from how far I was away from it. It could have been that someone left their stuff there and forgot it when leaving. I put the can of soda on the rail and slowly walked down the walkway and down the stairs. Before touching the sand, I looked left and right quickly to see if anyone was around at all. Nobody, not a single soul in sight. I sighed to myself before stepping my feet into the cold, but smooth sand. I walked a bit before heading to the part of the beach where there were a bunch of shells, so I had to carefully choose where to put my feet so they wouldn't get cut. After getting through the shells, I saw the object a lot clearer, and it absolutely shocked me to see what it was: A body. I quickly ran over and checked it.