Rain

“Good to go?” Jules entered the room where Roger was changing Rake’s ‘diapers’. His old one was full of blood, staggered on the floor in a disgusting kinda way.

“Sure.”

Glenn welcomed the three near the exit of the building as he and the others already prepared for a deadly journey. 

“So,” Rake started. “How about this uniform? I mean, we surely won’t blend in.”

“We have to survive with this for now.”

“Where are we going?” A Brit asked from the back of the crowds.

“Jai here has a safe connection some few miles from this place. He’s sure that the place we’re heading is indeed a shelter and we can stay there until there’s a chance in escaping the island.”

“How do we get there?” The question was from Jules.

“Yes, about that, we need to hijack at least two Japanese trucks to get out of here alive.”

“And how do you suppose we do that?”

“Good question, Jerry. We improvise.”

“This is not going to be good, isn’t it?”

They all exited the building with beacons above their heads stating that they were the enemy of the whole island. Everyone was not a friendly, and everyone would try to kill them. 

But at least the weather was pretty friendly. It rained hard, and the visibility went really low that morning. 

“I’ve been hearing single trucks passing ‘round this street, and there too. Seem to transport ammunition and stuff. We can hijack from them.”

“But what if we halt a truck full of soldiers?” Blake was too anxious. “We’ll be fucked up.”

“We just have to rely on luck. There’s no other choice, Blake. We’ll wait behind those bushes across the street and jump to the road when two or more trucks entered our range. Don’t proceed when there’s only one truck.” Glenn was a pretty fine leader that everyone liked. But that idea would end up really messy if luck didn’t aid them.

“Behind bushes you say? Are you sure you want us to hide behind those really transparent bushes?”

And that was exactly what they did. They hid behind bushes and town trees, waiting for something to pass. Single trucks passed by, but they wouldn’t fit all of them and they were speeding like in a race. 

“Being in a rain for hours like this is pretty excruciating I must say.”

Rake nudged his shoulder. “Shut up, Jai. Quit complaining.”

And finally, five slow trucks in bad conditions paraded the city. At any moment Jules was waiting for the raindrops to destroy the fifty years old trucks. 

Glenn cocked his gun. “It’s our chance.”

“What if men are inside them?” Jai asked once more.

“Relax, Dutchy. Those trucks are rustier than my grandparents’ back in New Mexico. Soldiers will not be in those things.”

Glenn stepped out of the bushes just in time for the leading truck driver to kick the brake. The truck almost drifted, and the ones on the back were near to tumble each other like dominos.

The headlights cut the misty air and shone through the dark morning. Glenn tried his best to conceal his rifle behind his back and to avoid looking to the driver’s eyes.

Ezra and Hal joined, followed by Asher, Jules, Roger, Jai, Rake, and everyone else.

The driver seemed to be very irritated, so he trampled out of the truck and paced angrily toward the standing soldiers. The second truck driver also stepped out to figure what the deal was. And the others behind those two horned impatiently.