Chapter 58:

We got to the back door of the house. Aiden opened the door and gestured for me to go inside. I stepped into the dark kitchen and I almost ran into a table that was far too close to the door. These old-style farmhouses didn't have much room. Aiden flipped on a light switch and the light blinded me.

"Is there a hairdryer or anything I can use to dry my shirt?" I asked him, looking around, not sure what to do.

"They have a dryer. I can throw your shirt in there." Aiden offered.

"Umm, I don't have another shirt with me." I said, not sure how this was going to work.

"I have an extra sweatshirt in my car. You can take this one." He lifted his sweatshirt over his head and handed it to me. He was wearing a simple dark blue t-shirt under it.

"Thanks." I said, reaching out to take it from him. I grabbed it and began to turn away, but he didn't let go. He used the sweatshirt to pull me closer to him. He wiped the loose strands of hair from my face. "You do know this is not how love works, right? It shouldn't hurt like this. You should be spending the rest of your life with someone who worships and adores you."

"I think so." I answered, looking down from his hazel eyes and a tear fell down my cheek.

Aiden wiped it away and pulled my face up to his. He stared down at my lips and his tongue darted out to wet his. He tilted my head up with his hand and leaned down close to me.

The pressure came, light and sweet against my lips. He opened my mouth and moved his tongue against mine. He moaned and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I have been in love with you since we were kids." He whispered into my mouth. "Be with me, I can make you happy and I know it. I can take care of you. I can give you everything he can't."

Aiden pressed his mouth against mine harder and I placed my hands against his chest and pushed back slightly. Brynn was right. Aiden did have a hero complex. He wanted to save me and was just confused about his feelings.

"Aiden, I'm sorry. I love you too, but I think you're just confused. I know you want to take care of me, but it's not in the way you think." I tried to gently soften the mood and let him know I understood the confused feelings too.

"I'm so sorry, Riley." He apologized quickly. "I think I'm just a little drunker than I thought. I'm sorry I just kissed you."

"No, it's fine. Drinking can do that to your brain. It makes a mess of everything. If anyone knows that, it's me." I said, rolling my eyes and I pulled away from him, holding his sweatshirt in front of me. "Where can I change?"

"The bathroom is just down this hall. Do you want me to show you?" He asked.

"No, I can find it. I'll just be a second." I smiled and then turned away with a frown covering my face. I just kissed my best friend's boyfriend while pregnant with another guy's baby. I didn't stop him and I kissed him back. The worst part was I wished it was Ezra who was kissing me even after everything he was putting me through.

I walked slowly down the dark hall, unsure of exactly which door I was looking for. It ended up being the second to last door. I pushed the door open and stepped inside. I fumbled for a few seconds looking for the light switch. When the light came on, I could see the bathroom was old, just like everything else in this place. I went to go lock the door only to find the old knob didn't have one. Great.

I turned back around and studied the room. The tile was a checked black and white and it even had a claw foot tub. I really had to pee and sat down to use the restroom. I was still not sure how I was going to make it through this night, but at least my bladder would be empty and I would be dry once again. I got up, washed my hands, and splashed cool water on my face. I shook my hands and ran them through my hair. I had to be stronger than this. I would make it through tonight and then find a way to survive without Ezra.