Four

She let out a soft gasp. Maybe that’s why he must’ve return. Both started to walk towards the stream. Jalal cups his hands and reaches into the water. He drinks a couple of times then sits down. He motions Payal, who was sitting next to a banyan-like tree. She comes and sits down next to him.

“Um, sorry about what happened earlier today. I was just really pressurized about my father dying. I even took an amassment of timber and lit it on fire in the soldiers’ territory.”

“You really want to take revenge that badly?”

“Yup, it’s not fair to kill or murder somebody when that person didn’t even do anything. Anyways, I feel really sleepy. Can you, uh, keep watch?”

“Sure, why not. Go ahead.”  Payal then rested her back against the tree and closed her eyes. Meanwhile, Jalal just stared at her thinking  how quiet she was. Her eyes were like two drops of coffee in a cloud of milk. But why was he thinking this? He doesn’t like her, does he? Payal’s eyes flutter open when suddenly she hears a crack. She frantically gets up seeing that Jalal isn’t there.

“Jalal! Jalal! Where are you? Did he… Oh my god!” Payal started to feel as if one of the soldiers captured him and his holding him  hostage. Tears start to well up and fall to the ground instead of her face. Suddenly in the distance she hears her name echo. Payal stops and listens. This time as she ran again,thorns stung her face as they dug into her fragile cheeks, her dress was being torn by the prickly bushes, and the trees that are towering her is blocking out every single ray of light. The echoes got louder and when she halted, the voice was coming from the upper region. Before she could even look, something hard knocked her unconscious.

“Payal! Oh, are you okay? I am so sorry. Payal? Oh good, you are alive.” Jalal’s eyes were now brighter than usual but filled with a feeling of concern.

“Wait, you weren’t dead? Ow! That was a really bad fall! Did you fall on me? What fell on my head?” Payal felt like she was going to explode.

“No, I went to get some food for you and me. Why would I want to land on your head? I burnt the fish that I was going to give you so I thought who likes burnt food? So then I climbed up that tree and found a bunch of bananas. But I couldn’t come down with it so I thought I would throw it down. Then if you think about it would get ruined so I started to call your name when I saw your arms extended, I dropped it and unfortunately it fell on your head.” Jalal didn’t make any eye contact with Payal.

“Well, before I start scolding, I want to say I forgive you and I think I am starting to like you. Now the scolding, you idiot! Stupid, dumbo, jerk, crazy! Serves you right!” Payal started to giggle a little bit.  His eyes  flashed at her. Suddenly, something hit her on the forehead and automatically, Payal started to feel dizzy. Her eyes started to dim and she couldn’t walk. But she heard Jalal shout. She tried to reply but her mouth was dry and muted. She stopped and she slowly fell to the rough jungle ground.

Something like two rods held her from falling but she couldn’t see anything clearly.  Maybe that was Jalal! She barely could even speak let alone see. Her mouth cupped into a word that looked like “Jalal”. After what seemed like hours, Payal opened her eyes in an instant and found herself in a bed. The pillows were soft and made her head go even deeper into the foam. The covers were ripped but had a nice feeling to it. With red, orange, and yellow swirling on the cover, Payal couldn’t help it but just stare at it warmly. As Payal felt her head, she felt something rough like a bandage on it. As she slowly dragged her fingers on her forehead, she felt a damp spot. Payal then searched for a mirror or anything that reflects off. Luckily, she found a broken shard of glass. She gradually lifted it up to her head and saw it was crimson red. Blood. She screamed louder than the roar of a bengal tiger. Jalal came in quickly seeing that Payal was on the floor with  a shard of glass.

“What do you think you are doing?! Do you want to commit suicide? Oh my god! Why are you crying?” Jalal frantically got up and carried Payal to the bed. Payal was still shivering and tears were streaming like crazy.

“Jalal, blood on my forehead! What happened? It is still spreading. Jalal, I don’t want to see myself!” Payal started to calm down but the colors on the covers made it worse. Especially the red. Jalal made some room between him and Payal and sat down beside her. He suddenly felt the urge to hug her. He wrapped his arms around Payal and suddenly, Payal felt calmer, as if her dad was there again. Payal looked up and her eyes were asking Jalal what happened.

“After you scolded me, a soldier came and hit you with the gun. Making you unconscious. I tried grabbing you but… they bruised me and I couldn’t save you. After they left, with all my strength I got up and carried you to my hut.” Jalal looked out the broken window.

“But wouldn’t the soldiers come here again? I mean…” Payal was looking the direction where Jalal was looking.

“No, I don’t think so because they don’t attack a place twice. You get some rest and I-----” Payal took hold of Jalal’s hand.

“Please? Can you stay with  me? I feel lonely.” Jalal smiled and sat resting his back against the headboard. He held Payal’s hand and looked into her eyes. His voice deepened.

“I never thought we would be friends and now.. uh, uh,” Jalal stammered.

“Really close friends? I mean, it’s just that I think you are my companion right now and I don’t want to lose you.” Payal’s eyes became warmer than before even as the weather was chilly.

“Yes, that is what  I meant. I like you a lot and I think you are really, uh, beautiful and uh, smart.” Jalal just stared at her for a long time as if  she was a wonder that could not be noticed. As Payal was about to say something, Jalal felt as if somebody was watching them. He let go of Payal’s hand and quickly ran to the window.

“Who is there? I am asking you, who is there? Show yourself!” Jalal demanded. But his anger calmed down after he saw it was a girl, about 8-9 years old. She looked petrified.

“Please! Don’t hurt me! I just came here to inform you that the soldiers left. You can come back. My name Leila. I found you two the other day when that girl hit her head with the bananas. But I never said anything. But I have to go. Bye.” Leila left without a notice. Her black and white scarf flapped through the wind until it could no longer be seen.

“We should return, Jalal. It is time we seek our revenge from those bloody soldiers! We can start a battle of our own. We can avenge the lives of whom died because of these rascals.” Payal started to go towards the door then stopped.

“Aren’t you coming? We need to leave.” Payal asked. Jalal turned around to face Payal. He nodded and jumped out the window. Payal smiled and left.