Five

As they both started to leave, Payal took her bag and brought out her knives. Jalal took his gun and looked at Payal. She looked confused.

“You have a gun? From where?” Payal demanded.

“My father was a hunter. He gave it to me.” Jalal replied.

“Oh.  Look! There is the opening to the village!” Payal jumped with joy and started to run. Jalal took after her. They both stopped when they saw their beloved village burned to ash. The once beautiful, fragile huts now became a pile of smothered hay. People lay dead in numerous places. Women and children rendered homeless, crying for their kin. Payal turned to Jalal and started to cry. Jalal hugged her and just stared at the demolished village. What have the soldiers done?

“This isn’t true! This is just a nightmare, it never happened.” Payal’s eyes were filled with tears that could not be controlled.

“Payal, calm down! This isn’t what we came for. We came here to avenge the lives of those whom sacrificed themselves including these people. What about your father?” Jalal showed Payal what she had to do. She can’t cry anymore.

“My people, it is time when we start a battle, a rebellion against those rascals. We can no longer suffer like this. Our family is dying, our relatives are dying! They have started this war. We will end it. Now is the time we show ourselves as the warriors of East Pakistan!” Payal no longer felt as if she was being held by her sadness. Everybody raised their fists up and the children came towards the couple.

“How are we supposed to fight? We are little.” One of the kids said.

“The size doesn’t matter, it is what is inside your heart counts.” Jalal said. The children smiled.

“Auntie, I want you and the others to start making durable clothing and rice and chili powder. Uncle, with the others I need you to gather all the guns you can find with bullets. Children, come with me.” Payal ordered. They nodded  and left. Payal and Jalal started to think of ways to enter without being seen.

“We can dress up as one of them and then attack.” Payal thought out loud.

“But then how would we get all the others in? It is too risky. What about attacking the sentries that are guarding the door?” Jalal replied back.

“I don’t think so. What if we just blend into the surrounding and make the others hide into the territory? Maybe then we could succeed.  With only 100 villagers, I don’t think anything could be exceeded. We should tell the people to take a rest, it is almost evening. Let us go.” Payal looked warmly into Jalal’s eyes. Jalal took her hands and kissed her forehead, then he smiled. The hot, sweltering afternoon turned into a nice royal blue evening which had shooting stars skying high into the night.  

“No! No! Stay away! Please, no!” Payal frantically woke up and was in a sweat. Jalal bursted into the room.

“It was just a dream, nothing else.” Payal quickly replied back before Jalal could reply.

“It is ok. I get them too. Goodnight.” Jalal said.

“Jalal, can you stay with me? I am not scared, I feel like if you stay with me, I can sleep better.”  Payal motioned him to bed. Jalal took two steps then started to run. Payal didn’t care. He slowed down and laid down with Payal. He hugged her and both of them went to sleep. Meanwhile, a person was outside their window and was writing a note.

To President of West pakistan,

The couple has made their move and they will be ready by tomorrow. We shall kill them the day they attack us. I will keep further notice.

  Your faithful spy, Leila