Six

The morning sun was risen and Payal opened her eyes. She gets up and turns  around. Her eyes were still dazed from sleeping, she used her hands to feel for Jalal’s hand. Payal searched the whole bed only to find that he was missing. She rubbed her eyes and looked around.

“Jalal, where are you? Jalal, Please talk to me.  Jalal?” Payal turned to the window where the it was battered and demolished. She got out of bed and grasped the window. She started to look around.

“Down here. I am okay. Just looking for food.” Jalal smiled.

“Don’t do that! I got scared to death.” Payal looked scared then smiled as well.  Jalal shook his hands and stood up.

“We should see how far everything has been done.” Payal told Jalal. He nodded back. They both went back to the village. Men, Women, even children got ready. The chili powder was finished and the guns were packed with bullets. Suddenly, grenades started to be thrown and the haunting gunshots came back to life. Payal watched wide-eyed as tens of bodies fell to the ground. Payal raised her hand. Instantly, everybody stopped and looked.

“This is what we have prepared for. Aunties, bring the chili and uncles bring the guns and fire!” Payal was red-eyed. She was going to make them pay. The soldiers started to destroy all the shacks and huts. That is when the women threw chili powder at the soldiers. All of them screamed in agony as they try to get it out of their eyes.  The men fired as each of the mercenaries fell to the ground. With only about 55 soldiers more, the villagers were winning. After several hours, the soldiers retreated. Jalal and Payal hugged each other for they have won. But their winning soon came to an end when they saw the dead bodies of the people. Payal caught sight of a child waving out of agony. Payal knelt down and put the child’s head in her lap. Blood was coming out of his nose.

“Didi, you were brave. My parents are killed. I…… am dying. I… am… scared.” He was gasping for air.

“Don’t worry. Everything is fine, don’t worry. Look at the … the birds. They are saying that when you die, you can fly in the heavens. You know, my dad. He is up there and he will take good care of you ok? Just look up.” slowly, the child’s last breath slipped away. Payal started to cry and Jalal closed the child’s eyes. Leila came back out of nowhere.

“Hello, I will take the dead bodies.” Leila smirked.

“Where are you taking them?” Jalal demanded.

“To the soldiers, of course.” Leila replied.

“Soldiers? Leila, are you with them?” Payal started to get suspicious.

“If you mean them as in the Western Pakistani soldiers, than yes.” Leila sneered. Payal was shocked. Leila than motioned with two fingers to let something come. Out came thousands of soldiers.

“Was this your lover? Maybe it is time we take somebody away. Take the boy away.” Leila ordered. Two soldiers came and grabbed Jalal by each arm.

“NO, NO, NO! Leave him alone! No!” Payal started to beat one of the  soldiers . They started to beat her up. Jalal started to loosen free from the grip and kicked them till they fell. Jalal took Payal’s hand and ran off into the jungle. When they reach the hut, they were long gone.

“Are you ok? Have I known that she was not with us… What are you looking at?” Payal asked. Jalal held out the paper. The note that Leila wrote… Payal looked up.

“Jalal, do you still have that gun? I need to kill somebody.” Payal looked evil and she was going to destroy her…… Leila.

“No, you are not going to do this.” Jalal said cautiously.

“I am!  She betrayed us. She is a spy! I am going.” Payal told Jalal.

“I know that. But don’t you need a partner? I am going to use your knives.”

“Yes, we cannot let her get in the way! Jalal, let’s do it!” Payal and Jalal went to the territory of the soldiers. Jalal started to kill the guards in the front and Payal saved her bullets for Leila. Jalal found Leila and slapped her. She fell to the floor. Payal arrived and put the gun to her head.

“Before I shoot you, tell me why you joined hands with them!” Payal said through her teeth.

“I rather join with them then stay with rascals like you! I rather die!” Leila shouted.

“Then die you shall…” Payal triggered the gunshot. All the soldiers took a good look at Leila and then held guns in front of them.

“For the sake of our own, we shall kill you. Both of you!” one of the soldiers yelled. Thousands of gunshots could be heard from miles. Payal looked up in the sky then at Jalal. Jalal looked at Payal and smiled. They both fell to the ground. Payal cringed as the bullet that is in her stomach shot pain that is unbearable. Jalal just looked up and saw Payal looking at him.

“Payal, I.. Love……… You……”

“Jalal, I love you ………………… too.”

Both of them held each other’s hand and closed their eyes. They got their salvations. Now it will be done……………………………………