9| Nine

Two weeks.

It had been two weeks of Taeyong avoiding Jaehyun. Yes, he was counting and still was. Each second ticked by, leaving Jaehyun in agonizing confusion.

Taeyong's hair was still black, bothering the confused boy beyond comfort.

Also, it didn't help that Johnny was too occupied with his relationship to remember he had a best friend, which left him hanging out with Chenle all the time. He didn't mind it. It was just demoralizing to know the people you care about wanted nothing to do with you.

He let his head droop onto Chenle's shoulder as they sat placidly under the tree. The bench became a staple of their friendship, and it's where they spent most of their time hanging out.

"Maybe, you should confront them both." Chenle licked his soft ice cream in content. His advice was valid, but the thought of doing that left a bad taste in Jaehyun's mouth.

Jaehyun made a whining noise and closed his eyes. "That requires too much energy."

Chenle chuckled and handed the strawberry ice cream to Jaehyun, who happily took it. After taking his share of licks, he passed it back over to Chenle. "Also, I don't do with social situations like that. Even if they're my close friends, that's awkward."

The younger nodded thoughtfully in understanding and finished off the delicacy in his hands. He let Jaehyun have the cone. "Okay, but you're never going to get anywhere, letting it happen. It's just going to keep going on until you try to stop it."

Chenle was right, and Jaehyun knew it. He grunted in defeat and stole one of Chenle's earbuds, putting it in his ear. Jaehyun smiled at the younger's taste of music as Lana Del Rey serenaded his mind. Each time they hung out, Jaehyun felt like he would kidnap Chenle.

He was so adorable, and if he had a little brother, he'd want him to be like Chenle. Or to just be Chenle. Either way, he loved Chenle very much in a brotherly way and would do anything to protect the younger.

Even help him with his crush, who he was very close with surprisingly. "Jisung is meeting me in the library this afternoon for help with Algebra. If you want to join..." Jaehyun suggested, giggling at the blush painting Chenle's cheeks.

He cleared his throat before responding. "I'll have to see if I'm busy."

Adorable. That was the only word to describe the two. Chenle's crush on the younger boy was hilarious because of how he acted. And Jisung was just as a mess as the other. Jaehyun loved getting the two together. It helped distract him.

"Alright, Lele."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Jaehyun's heartbeat rapidly against his rib cage like it was a wild animal trying to escape confinement.

He willed his arm to rise as he knocked on the white door. Chenle's words rang back in his mind. It helped him feel more confident in what he was doing. "Yes?" A deep voice Jaehyun's voice never heard said before he saw a tall daunting male looming in the doorway of the familiar house.

"Uh, is Taeyong home?" He asked timidly and unconsciously played with the ring on his index finger. Nervousness shook Jaehyun's core as he made eye contact with the unknown older male.

The man grunted and held a bored expression. Something about him felt familiar, and he didn't know what. "Why?" He deadpanned in his chilling voice.

Jaehyun stood up straighter. "We have a project we need to work on, and I was wondering if he was home so we can do that."

Dark irises stared him down hard, and Jaehyun worried he would pass out from fear at that moment. But then a guardian angel saved him in the form of a short and beautiful woman who Jaehyun recognized right away.

She pushed the man slightly away with her hip so she can squeeze in the doorway as well. "Jaehyun! I was wondering when I'd see your handsome face again! Taeyong is upstairs in the bathroom. You can wait for him in his room if you want," Mrs. Lee's soothing voice said, calming the jittering nerves that were bouncing everywhere in his body.

"Thank you." He bowed politely and maneuvered past them through the little space they opened up. After taking off his shoes, he fleed upstairs.

He knocked on the bathroom door and said, "Taeyong, I'm here." He then went to Taeyong's room.

Jaehyun waited patiently on the edge of Taeyong's bed, taking in the familiar room he hadn't been in for what felt like ages. He heard a sudden crash from the bathroom, and within moments a breathless Taeyong with ruffled black hair was standing in the doorway.