𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘷𝘺

𝗘𝗟𝗜𝗧𝗘

𝘗𝘖𝘐𝘚𝘖𝘕 𝘐𝘝𝘠

𝘗𝘖𝘐𝘚𝘖𝘕 𝘐𝘝𝘠

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Glancing down at the time shown by her phone screen, Angelique frowned for a second. Where the hell was she? Her mother was supposed to arrive half an hour ago, but she was nowhere to be seen. Any normal child would have texted their parents by now, but not Angelique.

She didn't want the ice queen to think her daughter couldn't handle a mixer by herself.

She had been gone for long enough and as much as she didn't want to go back inside, she had to. The girl stopped right in front of Dan and asked him for another drink. "A whiskey on ice for him and I'll take another glass of tonic water," she asked, waiting for him to prepare the drinks.

"You seem rather nervous. Is everything alright?" Dan asked, grabbing two clean glasses and putting ice cubes in them both. His question made Angelique give him a strange look, so he was quick to add: "I'm Dan Humphrey, we met at—"

"—Blair's party, yes, I know," Angelique pointed out, then grabbed the glass of whiskey he handed her. "I know who you are. And I'm not nervous, it's just.."

Dan waved a dismissive hand, then gave her the glass of tonic water too. "It's fine. Nobody's having a good time, apparently," he bitterly commented.

It was probably meant to be an innocent comment, but it sparked up Angelique's curiosity. "Hm? Did anything happen?" She had been so busy entertaining the lawyer sent by Harvard that she didn't pay attention to anything else.

"Oh, didn't you hear?" He scoffed. "Serena is trying to sabotage Blair by talking to the guy from Yale and Nate looks like he wants to run away from the Dartmouth professor."

When she heard the news, Angelique groaned. "Are they seriously fighting again? Here?" How mature of them. But it would have been a lie if she said she didn't expect this to happen. "Thanks for the heads-up, Dan, but I gotta go."

"It must be nice not having to worry about securing a place at Harvard," he commented under his breath, not intending to be heard at all.

"It is. Sometimes." But she heard him loud and clear. "Other times you start to question yourself, your dreams and your ambitions. Cheers." She lifted the tonic water glass in air, ironically, then left to find the Harvard lawyer.

On the way there, she ran into Serena. She debated on whether to talk to her or not; she already left that man alone for long enough, but she couldn't let her friends ruin today's mixer because of their selfishness.