//Chapter 1//

-Ed's POV-
The teacher passed me back my Science test and grinned at me "100 percent again Mr. Nygma!". I gave him a fake smile and he continued to hand out tests. The bell for the end of school rung and I sighed before getting up and leaving the classroom. 

I stopped at my locker to grab the books I needed for studying and homework, I was heading to the library when I was suddenly pounced on. I fell to the ground and I heard maniacal laughing behind me. I fixed my glasses and turned around. Oswald was behind me laughing his ass off. I smiled and slapped his leg "Don't be a bitch!". He helped me up and we made our way to the library.

 Oswald followed me around as I grabbed books for studying. He took a few books out of my hands to help me lighten the load "I don't know why you need to study so much. You're already a genius". 

I laughed "I just want to be top of the class". 

He threw his free hand up "You're already top of the class! Hell, I'm sure you're top of the school!".

I blushed "Shut up, let's go". We got into my car and made our way to the closest diner.

Once we got there, we got a booth. The diner was pretty empty which I was glad about because it was quiet and I could do homework. Oswald ordered a plate of fries and ate them as he talked to me. I did some notes and studying while I was there but spent most of the time talking and laughing with Oswald. I was so distracted that I didn't even realize the time. When I finally  looked at the clock above the counter, I panicked slightly but kept my cool so Oswald wouldn't get suspicious.

I looked at Oswald "Hey uh, it's getting late. I think I should get home".

He raised an eyebrow "It's only 10 pm.".

I stopped for a moment but quickly came up with an excuse "I have some studying to do, I have a test tomorrow". 

"Oh um, okay".

He knew I was lying.

I paid for the fries and we walked to my car. Once we got into the car, I looked at my phone for a moment. 

3 texts from Mom.

Oswald must have noticed my worry and spoke "Is something wrong?". 

I took my eyes away from my phone "Nope, everything's fine".

He knew.

We drove down the road in silence. Oswald was obviously sitting in comfortable silence. I, on the other hand, was nervous out of my mind. I was scared that he was going to bring something up and ask me why I'm lying to him.

Spoiler alert:

He did.

He turned down the radio and I continued to look straight ahead of me, at the road. "Ed, what's going on?". 

I was silent and couldn't look at him. 

"Ed, don't play dumb with me something's going on. What is it?". 

I sighed "It's- It's complicated...and I'm really not sure if I want to talk about it right now". 

He nodded "Well, if it's anything at home and you need a place to stay, you're always welcome at my house". 

I smiled at him "Thanks... Um, speaking of your house, we're here". 

He thank me and climbed out of the car and grabbed his backpack. He turned back to me "Just.. please don't get hurt".

"I won't". 

He nodded again "Have a good weekend, Ed". 

"You too".

He walked into his apartment complex and I drove away. I felt my ears tearing up and I swiped at them with one of my shirt sleeves.