Chapter 2- Clubbing in Combat Boots

The next morning, you arrive at the police station with Derek and JJ. You find that Hotch and Rossi are already there. Emily and Reid show up 10 minutes later. Hotch tells the team that a new body was found this morning outside the same club Josh Nicholson was found at.

"Who discovered the body?" Derek asks. "The victim's friend found him in the alley outside the club" Hotch says. "Oh God" you whisper. "Come on, let's head to the crime scene" Hotch says as he grabs his coat.

Getting out of the car and walking towards the alley outside of the club, you see that the press is already circling.

"JJ get rid of them" Hotch says. JJ nods and makes her way over to the news vans.
Emily bends down to examine the body. "He's getting more violent". "And he's devolving. This kill was only 24 hours after his latest victim" you add. "The scarring on his neck indicates that he was strangled post-mortem" Reid states. "That's a big change in MO. He's beating them now before he strangles them" Emily says. "If they're knocked out or dead, what's the unsub getting out of strangling them?" you ask.

"He's losing control. This is rage. This kill is more personal than the others" Hotch says. "Do you think he might have known the unsub?" you respond. "Maybe. Or maybe this victim reminded him of the true object of his rage" Hotch says. "Do we have an identity for the victim?" Hotch asks the detective. "James O'Conner. He was here celebrating a promotion with his friend". "Maybe the unsub saw O'Conner's success and it triggered something in him. He saw something he's always wanted" Derek suggests. "Either way, he's getting messy. He hit the same place twice. He's never done that before" you say. "Maybe we were wrong. Maybe he was paranoid at first so he hunted for his victims outside his comfort zone. Now that he's grown more confident and disorganized, maybe he's less scared we'll find him" Spencer remarks.

Derek dials a number on his phone and holds it up so we all can hear it. "Hey babygirl, did you find any crossover between the employees at each place?" "No, I'm sorry" she replies. "That's alright," Derek mutters. "I think we need to deliver the profile," Hotch says.

Emily starts the presentation to the force: "We're looking for a white male in his early to mid-twenties who's physically fit. He probably has a job where he feels invisible, or like his input isn't valued and he's probably been at this job a while". "Our unsub is fueled by rage. He sees his victim as the type of man he's always wanted to be. He probably doesn't have many friends and he wouldn't be a very charming or sociable person" you say. "We think he waits for his victims to leave and then he attacks them once they're alone. The fact that he hits the victim over the head from behind first shows that he's insecure about his abilities, but he's still physically fit enough to overpower his victims" Reid adds.

You are interrupted by the head detective saying "We just got a lead. One of the bartenders said that there was a regular at the bar last night who followed the victim out the door after he left. His name is Kevin Wheeler". "Did you get an address?" Hotch asks. "Work and home," the detective reponds. "Alright, let's go".

You follow the team out the door. Hotch tells you, Emily, Reid, and Derek to go to the suspect's home address while he, Rossi, and JJ check out the work. As you sit in the passenger seat of the black SUV, you start to feel nervous. You've been in the field before, but not in a while. You just really don't want to screw this up. You can feel her eyes on you again. This time, however, it doesn't make you tense up; it actually helps you relax. You don't know what it is. Maybe it's just comforting to know that she has your back.

When you arrive at the suspect's house, you, Reid, and a few cops take the back while Emily, Derek, and the other cops take the front. She knocks on the door yelling, "FBI" and after no response, she kicks it in. The back door to the house was unlocked so you proceed to walk in; Reid close behind you. You walk through the home, checking each room as you go. You meet Emily and Derek in the living room.