Been A While

Vale woke up to a warm hand wrapping around hers. Her eyes fluttered open to find Sky staring at her. "Sky!" she gasped as she drank him in. He had a little more color in his cheeks, a smile creeping across his lips. Without thinking, Vale jumped into his arms. She was met by a gasp but before she could pull away he hugged her back fiercely.

"You need to stop giving me heart attacks," she murmured into his shoulder.

He pulled back, giving her an annoyed look and quickly signed, poor choice of words.

Vale groaned and slapped a hand over her mouth. "I'm sorry."

He shook his head and then looked around the room, a concerned look crossing his tired features. Where are we? he signed.

"We got picked up by a passing ship."

Sky sat up straighter, looking around the room, a look of dread filling his eyes. What ship?

Vale watched him shift, looking suddenly uncomfortable. "The Ignis."

Sky ran his hand down his face, signing as his eyes dashed around the room. That is what I was afraid of.

"Why? What's wrong with this ship?"

Sky struggled to the edge of the bed, trying to get to his feet. I will explain when we get off the ship. We need to go.

The blanket fell off of him as he stood, revealing his bare chest, distracting Vale for a moment. Muscles chorded his torso, reminding Vale of how strong he was. Mechanic work has done him well. At the center of his chest, right above his heart sat a small plate of metal that was bolted to his chest. The design and style were oddly familiar, sending another wave of deja vu through Vale.

His bird claw tattoo sat prominently on his neck, the ink-black design highlighting his broad shoulders.

Vale watched him reach for his shirt that sat on the end of the bed and tug it on. "Have you been here before? What's going on?"

The door to the room opened and Dash moved into the doorway. "He's just mad because he didn't want to see me again." Dash leaned against the doorframe and stared at Sky, a hard unfriendly grin crossing his face. "Hey cousin. It's been a while."