Chapter 5

Silverpelt seemed brighter during Gatherings. A full moon was in the sky, lighting up everything below it.

A quarter moon ago, Redpaw recovered from her shock. She was ready to go to the Gathering now.

I just have to find the elder that has the prophecy, she thought as they walked to the Tree of Seasons.

This tree was very unique with its different leaves. On the side of the tree pointing to the IceClan camp, there were no leaves. On the DarkClan side, there were dark green leaves. On the MoonClan side, the moon's light shined through the mist. On the StormClan side, the tree had water dripping from leaves.

Once they got to the Seasons Tree, Stormstar jumped up onto the branches of the StormClan side.

The other leaders, Darkstar, Icestar, and Moonstar, followed, getting onto their own sides. The medicine cats sat at the bottom of the tree on their respective sides. The deputies sat on the lowest branches.

Many of the cats were meowing to each other about different things. Redpaw had to find the cat who knew the prophecy. She wandered to the MoonClan area of cats first, looking for an elder.

Soon, she spotted a gray she-cat with clouded eyes, lying on a flat stone near a holly bush. Could this be her? Redpaw padded up to the elder, wondering what the prophecy could be.

"Young one, did you need something?" the elder directed her question at the ginger apprentice. She must have heard me approach her, Redpaw thought. Redpaw was about to question about the prophecy, but the elder spoke up again.

"Ah! I know you! You must be the ginger she-cat that crabby old Yellowfang yammered to me about. The prophecy is what you seek, yes?" the frail gray she-cat meowed as quietly as she could, so to not distract other cats at the Gathering. Redpaw mewed back, "It is."

"Very well. A cat with the eyes will bring a storm of rising smoke. One shall fall to the cloud's power, leaving another behind to finish the battle." the MoonClan elder rasped.

Redpaw thought about this prophecy for a while. 'A cat with the eyes'? Does this mean a cat who has distinct eyes? Maybe a color? Do they see something that other cats cannot see?

Are they blind? Redpaw pondered, moving onto the next part of the prophecy, '...will bring a storm of rising smoke...' That's the mist! Then...I wasn't dreaming. The mist has something to do with this! Redpaw concluded with excitement.

The ginger apprentice continued working out the rest of the prophecy. 'One shall fall...' That's not one of us, is it? I could be part of this prophecy...'to the cloud's power...' Is that StormClan's border?

StormClan has clouds, but....the mist is more important than our border, surely! Redpaw struggled to understand this portion of the prophecy, but reached a most likely conclusion. The clouds must be the mist, no doubt about it. Now for the next part....'leaving another behind to finish the battle'...There's going to be a battle? Between the mist and...cats?

The whole prophecy now. Let me see if I can figure this out. 'A cat with the eyes will bring a storm of rising smoke.' That would be one cat being able to create the mist. 'One shall fall to the cloud's power, leaving another behind to finish the battle.' That has to be a major battle between the cat who controls the mist and two cats...Could it be one of the Clan cats and I? But against who? Who are we fighting? Who controls the mist?

Redpaw knew what the prophecy meant now. She was glad she figured it out faster than other cats from the past figured out their prophecies. But something still bothered her while the Clan leaders spoke during the Gathering. Who is going to die?