Chapter 7

A quarter-moon passed after her first Gathering. Redpaw continued with her apprentice training, yet she was always thinking about the big battle that was going to happen. Why would it happen? What would cause it? Who will die? A blue-gray paw smacked her aside.

"You're going to have to pay more attention if you want to become a warrior, Redpaw." Mistyleaf said. Rainpelt and Mistyleaf had been training Redpaw and Bluepaw in the evergreen forest next to the camp. It was used for hunting as well as training with fighting techniques. Bluepaw had hit her with her claws sheathed. Redpaw got to her paws. She swiped at Bluepaw with her claws sheathed.

They practiced until sunhigh. After they finished training, they went to the fresh-kill pile. Bluepaw picked out a small owl while Redpaw picked out a mouse. They ate together by the Highstone. The cats in the camp were sharing tongues or eating fresh-kill. Dewstorm was sorting herbs in her den, Stormstar was sharing tongues with Goldenclaw, the deputy, and Rainpelt and Mistyleaf shared an eagle together.

Everything seemed so peaceful in the camp. Mistyleaf told Rainpelt about a warrior assessment for their apprentices. Redpaw could hardly believe her ears. Already? She turned to Bluepaw. "Did you know we are having our warrior assessment soon?" she asked Bluepaw. Bluepaw just finished her owl, then meowed, "It would definitely be soon!" Her eyes were sparkling with pride. Redpaw was going to ask her another question when a yowl broke the Clan's peace. "The mist! It killed Lightningfur!"

The border patrol rushed into the camp through the clouds. Blacktail and Thunderstrike were the only ones in it. "Blacktail and Thunderstrike were in the patrol with Lightningfur earlier." Goldenclaw told Stormstar. "He must have not made it back." Goldenclaw padded to Thunderstrike. "Where is he? Take me to him." he ordered. The three cats padded out of the camp as quickly as they came in. Redpaw's eyes were wide with shock. The prophecy was true.