Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

I try to shake the tension from my body as I stood in front of the entrance of the large hotel. It felt like its immense size was mocking me. "Hey, Tay. You can do this, man." I heard Fernando say through an Airpod I was wearing.

After the meeting with my two bosses. I was a nervous wreck. "How could I possibly pull this stunt off? My cover will be blown." I asked myself.

Thankfully, after brainstorming with my friends, Ligaya came up with a plan to get me out of my predicament. They would be present with me during the meeting. Technically, they'll be on a call and will be able to communicate with me through my Airpod.

"Taylor move your lazy butt and go in now! You'll be late for the meeting." Kim scolded.

"Pray for me." I cried.

I walk into the lavish hotel and the exquisite restaurant. I spot Mr. Fritz and Mr. Yoon already seated on a table, drinking.

"Good morning, gentlemen," I said as I approached them.

"Hello, McCormick. How are you doing, lad?" Mr. Fritz asked.

"I'm well, sir. I hope you both are too."

"Yes, yes. I'm quite excited about this deal to spark off well." Mr. Fritz replied.

"Indeed. Hopefully, all will go great." Mr. Yoon added.

"Hopefully." I inwardly say.

"Taylor," I heard Ligaya chime in through my earpiece, "I'll review with you some Tagalog."

"When you greet Mr. Chen, say "Magandang umaga, Mr. Chen. Kumusta po kayo?" which means "Good morning, Mr. Chen. How are you?" she taught.

"Maybe, Taylor," Kim spoke up, "it'll be nice if you say hello in Chinese since he's half Chinese. "Zǎoshang hǎo" means "good morning" in Chinese."

"Ok, so you'll say "Zăoshang hăo Mr. Chen. Kumusta po kayo?" Ligaya repeated.

I repeated it to myself several times to remember.

"When you greet Ms. Gonzales, try to be charming and suave," Fernando added.

"You flirt." Kim accused Fernando then I heard a smack.

"Ow, Kim," Fernando whined.

"Taylor, just relax. We're here to help you. I'm here to guide you. Just breathe." Ligaya said reassuringly.

"Oh! They're here!" Mr. Fritz happily said, interrupting our secret conversation.

We stood up and waited for them to come to our table. I greeted Mr. Chen with a firm handshake, " Zăoshang hăo, Mr. Chen. Kumusta po kayo?"

"I'm good. Thank you. Ikaw?" Mr. Chen asked with a smile.

"Say, "mabuti naman ako."." Ligaya quickly said.

"My booty naman ako," I say happily.

I see Mr. Chen look confused for a bit then laughs. My smile began to falter.

"No! Taylor! You should've said "Mah-bu-teh" Now you said you have a butt." Ligaya said.

I quickly try to apologize, "Oh! Forgive me, sir. I meant mabuti," I tried my best to say it properly, " My accent is a bit of a challenge when I speak Tagalog."

He stopped laughing, "No, no. You're alright. It was quite funny. Yes, you need to work on your pronunciation." He patted my back.

Still a bit embarrassed I turn to Ms. Gonzales, "Buenos dias, Señora Gonzales. Soy Taylor McCormick. Encantado de conocerlo." I charmingly smiled.

"Buenos dias, Señor. You're Spanish is quite good." She complimented.

"Say, "Y tu eres muy hermosa." Fernando commanded.

"Y tu eres muy hermosa," I repeated with a big smile.

"Eres un encantador." She said with a tinge of a red on her cheeks.

"She just called you a charmer, my boy," Fernando said proudly.

I smiled.

"Please, sit down and our food shall be served shortly." Mr. Yoon announced.

All things were going smoothly until Mr. Chen decided to practice his Chinese with me.

*Italics means that it is in Chinese*

"How did you learn Chinese, young man?" Mr. Chen inquired.

I swallowed my drink and wait for Kim's guidance. "He is asking how you learned Chinese. Repeat after me: I have an awesome Chinese friend and because of her, I got to learn a bit of the language. Then I took Chinese lessons."

I repeated what Kim said without knowing what it meant.

"You're Chinese is quite good. Have you been to China?"

"He is asking if you've been to China, just say "No, but I would love to.". Kim instructed.

I repeated it.

*Chinese conversation is over*

Mr. Chen smiled, "When you visit, give me a call and I'll find you a great place to stay."

"That's very kind of you, sir. Xièxiè." I replied.

"So, Mr. McCormick," Ms. Gonzales spoke to me, "Por que aprendiste español?"

"Hablar con mujeres hermosas como tu." Fernando spoke.

I repeated what Fernando said to which she blushed again.

"Okay, gentlemen, and miss." Mr. Yoon interrupted, which I inwardly thanked God for since I was getting quite uncomfortable talking with Ms. Gonzales without knowing what Fernando was telling me to say.

"Let's discuss the contract." Mr. Yoon announced.