Chapter 17 - Part 2

Before I know it, it's the end of the week. Time just starts slipping away, even more than it already was. I go through a couple days where I'm feeling anxious about that fact, but then I let it go. I'm spending most of my evenings going on runs or working out in my room. I even purchase my own personal vat of protein powder, which I hope to get through before I leave. I read a couple of books Ms. Nolan recommended to me. Whatever time I have left over usually goes to some blend of Netflix and porn. And you know what? After a while, I start feeling content with the solitary lifestyle. Maybe it's because I know it's only temporary.

To my knowledge, Thomas only has one practice on Saturdays and nothing going on Sundays, so I'm all but certain I'll hear from him over the weekend. But I don't. Who knows what the hell his excuse is. I guess he just didn't feel like talking. I text him Sunday night before bed asking him about his weekend, and all he texts back is, "I squared things up with Madison."

I send him a couple of question marks.

"Her and I talked yesterday. She reached out and we got coffee downtown. She's doing okay."

"Did she say much about the whole thing?"

There's a long pause, and then he says, "She said at least it was you, and not some other girl."

"Okay."

"She said Lexie and her have been pretty inseparable."

"I'm glad they have each other."

"You might expect her to drop you a line at some point."

"Lexie?"

"Yeah."

"Is that what Madison said?"

"No, that's just the impression I got."

That next week, on some bullshit Wednesday evening, I book my airline ticket. After the extra baggage fees and all that, it ends up being expensive as hell. But believe me, it's the best money I ever spent. It's literally my ticket out of here. I burn through an hour or two studying the flight times, the different gates and my route through the airport in Seattle during my layover. I read about customs and everything you're supposed to do and say, since I've never been out of the country before. I read over my study permit, which I applied for back when I first got my admission letter. I look through my passport, which is only about six months old, just checking to make sure it all looks the way it's supposed to. It's still early in the evening and I'm feeling fidgety, so I walk to the Ustick branch of the public library to print off the tickets. They don't even need to be printed, it just feels nice to put everything together in a folder. By the time I get back, my mom has already left for her shift. It's all right, though. I wasn't totally ready to tell her anyway. Still, I find myself wishing I had someone to share the moment with.

I wish Thomas hadn't said that thing about Lexie contacting me. Even as I read the words, I knew they probably weren't true, but I guess it still gave me a little hope that something might go down. Anyway, I think if she was going to reach out the same way Madison did to Thomas, she would have done it already. I know it's selfish of me to expect anything at all from her, but still, I can't help feeling a little jealous.

Thomas and I text back and forth a little on Thursday night. I tell him all about buying the ticket and it's clear he's trying to work up some excitement for me. He's just so fucking tired. He says football practices are going well, but they're insanely rigorous, and he can barely stand up by the time his half-shift at work ends in the evening. Personally, I think it sounds like a horseshit way to live, but it seems to suit him well.

When my phone goes off the next evening around six o'clock, I fully expect a text from him. But that's not what I get. Instead, Lexie's name shows up, and you'd better believe I'm surprised. Jesus Christ, I could wake up with a third arm and I wouldn't be this surprised.