Chapter 21

The next morning, Dipper came downstairs from his room and sat down with his Grunkles at the kitchen table.

His face was red from crying all night and he had bags under his eyes due to the lack of sleep.

Ford looked up from his newspaper and smiled, "Oh, Dipper, you're awake! Good morning."

Dipper made no eye contact but muttered, "Three years."

"Are you alright Dipper?" Ford asked questionably.

Ford was ignored and Stan decided to give it a go, "Hey kiddo! Do you want any of my world famous Stan-cakes?"

"Three years." Dipper whispered, ignoring Stan.

Stan and Ford looked at each other with worried looks, "Please Dipper," Ford said, "Just tell us what's wrong."

"SHE'S GONNA BE GONE FOR THREE YEARS!" Dipper yelled out uncontrollably, more tears fell down his face and he put his head down onto the table. "How can I survive three years without her?"

"Oh," Ford said, "So she told you."

"Wait, you know?" Dipper asked, lifting his head up a bit.

"Yes," Ford answered, "On the first day of summer, Mabel explained to us what your parents had decided. They had told her that she's not allowed to go to Gravity Falls any more."

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Dipper asked angrily, "Why didn't she tell me sooner?!"

"Because she wanted to make this an amazing summer for the two of you Dipper. If you knew at the beginning, that's all you would have thought about and the summer would have been wasted." Ford explained.

"Your sister just wanted the two of you to have as much fun as you could before she left." Stan added, "She cares about you and wanted to spend every happy moment with you."

"I- I guess that makes sense," Dipper sniffed, "But how can I survive three years without Mabel? Sure she drives me crazy most of the time, but she's my TWIN sister!"

"Kid," Stan said, putting his arm on Dipper's, "I had to spend thirty years without my other half, I know how you feel. But be grateful that you know where she is and that she's safe. I lived with regret for thirty long years, but none of this is your fault."

"That is the wisest thing I have ever heard you say Stanley." Ford said.

"Oh shut it Poindexter!" Stan laughed, "I've said some pretty smart things before!"

Ford laughed, "I'm sure you did." he said sarcastically.

The two of them laughed and then both saw Dipper still upset.

"Oh, sorry kiddo." Stan said embarrassed, "We didn't meant to make you feel-"

"No, it's fine, really. You two are twins and deserve to have your fun." Dipper said, "And if it takes three years for Mabel and I to reunite, so be it."

"Atta boy Dipper! Now let's finish eating and get dressed so we can go buy you some new clothes for the year." Ford said.

Dipper nodded and made some toast for himself. As he ate, he tried to stay positive about the whole situation, "It's only three years, it's only three years..."

Little did he know how much this change was going to change him.