Chapter Four: Nothing Shall Divide Us

The sound of King Jonn's boots pounding upon the stone floor were heard throughout the keep. He rubbed his palm aggressively over the pommel of his sword.

"What news of Clark, Alex, and Kara? They should have returned by now!"

The frustrated king's voice bellowed loudly and reverberated against the walls.

Sir Ray cleared his throat awkwardly. He squirmed in his armor and watched the door.

"I know not, My Lord. The battle was fierce and there was much commotion," Ray said, trying in vain to ease the worry that suffocated the room.

King Lionel wrapped a comforting arm around his wife's shoulders.

"Evil has come to Camelot and I fear greater evil shall follow. I demand to know news of my daughter. Sir Ray says she was with your knights, but I have waited long enough to hear a word of her fate."

"I beseech thee, King Lionel. Please grant me your patience. It grieves me to not have more information, but I assure you I have this entire kingdom searching for the Princess," King Jonn said, attempting to quell King Lionel's frantic anger.

Lionel growled and pulled away. He walked to the window and stared at the darkening sky.

"Who were those villainous bandits and what business do they have with Camelot? You assured me Camelot was at peace and would provide a safe refuge during our stay. What quarrel do you have with such villains?" King Lionel demanded, his tone seething with bitter rage.

"I know not, but we are making all necessary inquiries. We will find who is to blame and make them bleed."

The occupants of the room stiffened at Jonn's words.

"Do you have so many enemies that you cannot tell who is attacking you?" Queen Lillian asked.

"Your Majesty, I assure you these villains are like none we have ever encountered", Kara said, walking over the threshold of the room. Lena held onto her arm. Clark and Alex followed closely behind with Samantha and Lois.

"Oh! Thank goodness you are safe," Queen Catherine said. She moved to her cousin and hugged her close. Lady Samantha had a minor cut on her brow, but she smiled sweetly. Catherine grabbed Lena's hand and gave it a squeeze. "Are you three well? We feared some darkness had fallen upon you."

"We are fine, dear cousin. Thanks to these brave knights," Samantha said smiling at Alex.

"Indeed. They were the bravest of heroes. Your honorable knight Kara was exceptionally heroic. She saved me from a wicked brigand who intended to cause me great harm and she took the force of a large boulder upon her back to protect me," Lena said with glassy eyes and a warm smile. "For the rest of my days, I doubt that I shall ever see someone so fearless and loyal. She showed genuine commitment to this kingdom and friendship to the Emerald Isles. You should have seen the size of the boulder, father. Surely I would have perished if that boulder had fallen upon me."

Kara bowed her head to Lena.

"I do not deserve such praise, Your Highness, but I thank you. I am pleased that we successfully pushed the evil from Camelot and that you and these fine ladies are secure."

King Lionel stepped forward and placed a hand on Kara's shoulder. He exhaled and smiled genuinely.

"I owe you a great debt of gratitude, good knight. No other being in this world is more precious to me than my daughter. She is correct, you are truly a loyal friend to us all."

Once again, Jonn's brow creased with discontent. Kara held Jonn's gaze. His eyes burned with jealousy and anger.

"Are you injured, Kara?" Queen Catherine asked. "Taking a blow from a boulder could not have been an easy feat. Do you suffer?"