Chapter Five: Chivalry Defined

Unease blanketed the Great Hall as the lords and ladies of Camelot gathered to break their fast. A full compliment of knights encircled the room prepared to defend the people of Camelot against any possible incursion. Jonn sat at the head table gorging on his early morning feast. He stuffed his face full of turkey, venison, bread, and cheese, barely stopping to take a breath. He washed it all down with a large goblet of wine.

Lena took a seat next to her father at the table. Kara stood close behind.

"How he has changed," Kara said distractedly under her breath.

King Lionel perked up his ears and waved Kara forward.

"What say you, good knight?" Lionel asked.

"It's just strange to see King Jonn gorge himself this way. He has always been a man of moderation. When we were in Saint Germaine, we were offered every kind of delicacy and Jonn politely refused. Since our return I just feel like he is a stranger to me."

"Curious," Lionel said. "A man may eat more or less on any given day but those apt to moderation usually do not change so greatly."

King Lionel cleared his throat and addressed Jonn.

"How is Sir Clark feeling today?"

"He is fine. He rests and is recovering from his injuries. He will be back on his feet soon."

"Glad tidings. His situation seemed most dire."

"We called in a sorceress who was able to heal his gravest wound. Glad tidings indeed."

Taking advantage of Jonn's calm tone, Lionel continued.

"I am sorry I was so vexed immediately after the attack," Lionel said trying to heal the quarrel between them. "In matters relating to my daughter, I can be quite unreasonable. I do hope you will understand."

"Are you still planning on sailing home straight away?" Jonn asked. "You are our invited guests and we had planned for you to stay for at least another fortnight. I assure you we can keep you and your family safe."

"I think it is time for us to go. We have been away from our kingdom for far too long. We appreciate your hospitality greatly. We have no particular occasion to stay for, so I think we shall be on our way."

"Ah, but you see, good King Lionel, we do have an occasion to celebrate. A grand occasion indeed. We will have a wedding feast. The grandest anyone has ever seen."

"A wedding feast for who?"

"I have found a husband for your daughter, Princess Lena. A real prince. I have made up for offering up the hand of a paltry knight."

Lionel cleared his throat once more.

"I assure you; I know Sir Clark is a brave and noble knight and I meant no offense."

Kara stiffened. The sound of her armor clanking was so loud that everyone in the room turned and faced her.

Lena placed a desperate hand on Lionel's arm.

"Please father, no," she whispered softly.

"Be still and put your trust in me," Lionel whispered to Lena.

"Of course, father."

Lillian gave Lionel a strange look. He just smiled a little and nodded.

"Really? Who is this real prince?" Lionel asked.

"Prince Lexius of Gawant. He is the most eligible prince in all the kingdoms, and I consider him a friend. If you agree to stay, I will make the introduction. Stay. This will be an alliance worth forging."