Chapter Four: Serendipity

"How long has it been?", Kara asked knowing the answer.

"Two years exactly tonight", Lena said with a bright smile. Her eyes glistened and she took a small step towards Kara.

"How did you know I was here?" Lena asked.

"The gift wrap station. I heard them call out your name. Luthor doesn't strike me as a very common name so I had to check. How did you know who I was?"

"I confess, I did an internet search for you two years ago and brought up a picture. I knew your face. I knew your smile and those eyes. Your face has been burned in my mind."

Lena seemed relaxed and at ease. Kara couldn't help but be surprised. She seemed very different from the Lena who ran away from her two years before.

"This is surreal. I've thought about you often over the last two years."

"I've thought of you as well. More often than I would like to admit, Lena said with a blush on her cheek.

"You have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen, Lena."

Kara's heart sank into her stomach. It was words like this that scared Lena off the first time. Kara wondered to herself silently why she had such terrible impulse control when she heard Lena's voice.

"I'm sorry", Kara said looking down at the ground.

Lena stepped forward and took Kara's hand.

"You should be", Lena whispered.

Kara's face fell.

"Fuck. I'm sorry."

Lena stepped closer and pressed Kara's hand to her chest.

"You've looked in the mirror right? Clearly, you have the most beautiful eyes on the planet. I've never seen anything so blue."

Kara felt a rush of heat spread through every inch of her body. Her knees got weak and she felt the dizzying effects of their intense chemistry. Suddenly, she felt lightheaded and she almost collapsed. Lena saw Kara falter on her feet and grabbed her before she fell. She helped her over to a bench and they took a seat side by side. Lena continued to hold her hand. Her brow was furrowed with worry.

Alex walked out of the department store holding the food processor. She looked around and made eye contact with Kara. Kara could sense her disapproval from a mile away.

"Well that was hellish", Alex said directly to Kara. She looked over at Lena and did a double take. Something about Lena shook her.

In all fairness to Alex, Lena was exceptionally beautiful. Her long black hair was shiny and smooth. The glow from the white lights twinkling all around them made her emerald eyes sparkle. She wore a beautiful camel hair coat and a white cowl neck sweater. Kara looked over at Lena and she wanted to know what it would feel like to be wrapped up in her arms.

"So, you're miss-stuck-in-the-elevator-on-Christmas-Eve?" Alex asked with an upturned grin. "You're fucking gorgeous."

"Jesus Alex", Kara said totally embarrassed.

Lena let out a loud belly laugh and smiled sweetly.

"I see neither of the Danvers girls have a filter. Thank you for saying I'm fucking gorgeous. You are both fucking stunning."

Both Alex and Kara blushed and smiled. Kara did not remember Lena being this charming. She mostly remembered her being sad and broken.

"Hey Kar, I'm sorry to interrupt but everyone will be getting to my place soon. We should probably head back."