chapter 1: "how can you see us"

❧    ❦    ❧

The glaring Malibu sun was beating down upon the beachgoers, but the ghost boys of Sunset Curve just felt like they were shining. The depressing thoughts of their past had dissipated into a newfound content. Actually, they felt even happier than content. They could make music again. More importantly, they could make music together.

The three bandmates were singing down the streets of Malibu when Luke turned around and started walking backward, "See guys? All we need is each other and the–"

Before he could finish his sentence, another body ran into him, making him stumbled and fall forward. All they saw was a mass of dark hair fall face first in the street. Alex's eyes went wide at the interaction while Reggie automatically went over to see how the other person was doing.

"Hey, are you okay?"

The stranger flipped her hair, and Reggie could've sworn that she was glowing like a fallen angel when he saw her face. It felt like his heart was beating out of his chest which was saying something for someone who's dead.

"Uh yeah, I think so." She got back up on her feet and started to dust herself off when she felt a sticky and warm liquid dripping from her forehead. Her finger brushed past the wound, and she saw the blood thinly coat it. "Maybe I'm not as fine as I think I am."

Luke walked up to the stranger, "Hey, I'm sorry about that. I totally should've looked where I was going. I'm Luke and that's Reggie." Reggie flashed her the widest grin.

"I'm Diana."

Alex frantically rushed up to the trio, "What did– How did– But you– Blood–"

Luke stared at him, "Alex! Breathe!"

"HOW CAN YOU SEE US?" He finally exclaimed. Realization flickered in their eyes as Diana remained confused.

"Is this supposed to be a trick question, or did I hit my head too hard?"

Luke turned to Alex, "Wait, what if she's like Julie?"

"But Julie can't touch us."

Reggie then started to walk towards his friends, "What if she's like us?"

"But she's clearly bleeding."

"HELLO!" Diana started waving her arms, "I'm right here!"

Luke crossed his arms, "Well, what are you then?"

"...human?" She answered, confused.

Reggie clarified, "He means to ask you if you're alive or not."

She furrowed her eyebrows and then started to walk to a palm tree for refuge, "I think I might've hit my head too hard. This heat probably isn't helping either."