chapter 8: "save yourselves"

❧    ❦    ❧

Alex was alone and gazing upon the Orpheum stage. His mind felt like it was going to explode. The last 24 hours opened his eyes to so many things, but he still had so many questions unanswered. He just thought back to a simpler time just moments before their death where they were just so full of hope. Playing the Orpheum was supposed to be the gateway to all of their dreams, but now, it might be the key to helping them survive.

Willie wooshes in beside him, but he doesn't even dare to look at him. "Is this seat taken?" Willie asks, his eyes hoping to meet Alex's.

"You know, Diana never came back. The first time she disappeared, we were so worried about her, but eventually, we just got used to it because she always came back."

Willie was confused, "You still wanted her to come back even after everything I told you?"

Alex sighed, "Well, part of me wished that everything you said was just wrong. Like you just didn't know what you were talking about. I could tell Reggie wanted it to be too, but Luke was just so..."

"Mad?"

He shook his head, "No, hurt. Like I think he wanted Diana to be more than just a pawn in Caleb's game, and it hurt that he fell for her."

Alex looks over slightly with his sad blue eyes and sighs, "This whole thing sucks."

"Yeah, I messed up," Willie laughed humorlessly.

"No, it's like you said... you know, you didn't have a choice." Alex was initially pissed off at Willie. He felt betrayed by him and Diana, but he just kept thinking about it. What matters is what's happening now, right?

Willie just felt guilty. He really fell for Alex, and now he might suffer the same fate and it wouldn't even be his choice. He just scoffed and shook his head.

Alex reassured him, "I mean, Caleb owns your soul–"

"No. No, still, I know what he's capable of. I brought you guys right to him. When you guys asked me, I should've just skated away."

"I would have still followed you," Alex looked into Willie's eyes.

"Man... I would do anything to take back what I did to you." A small surge jolted through Alex's stomach making him groan slightly. "I'm so sorry. I mean, did you guys figure out what your unfinished business is?"

Alex scoffed, "Not like it's gonna happen... We have to play here."

"The... the Orpheum?"

"Yeah, I mean, we were two hours away from getting on that stage the night we died," Alex just imagined what it would've been like if they were like Bobby and didn't go to eat those street dogs.

"You guys were gonna be legends."

Alex looked down. That's exactly what Luke said before they died. "We were." He looked back on stage fondly before looking at his lap again. "Can I pick your brain about something?"