chapter 9: the finale

❧    ❦    ❧Heels clicked against the hardwood floors almost like a metronome

Heels clicked against the hardwood floors almost like a metronome. Finger skim over the back of a mahogany chair until Diana decides to sit down in front of the devil himself, Caleb Covington. Her eyes were glowing so bright, they looked like stars shining out of her skull.

She crossed her legs nonchalantly, "So the boys are planning on crossing over."

Caleb widened his eyes, "Are they now? And how do they suppose they're going to do that?"

"They think that playing the Orpheum is going to do the job. It was what they were supposed to do before they died. I think they're planning on playing there tonight."

He started to smirk, "No, no, no that just won't do. We're going to have to fix that, won't we?"

Diana matched his smirk, "I think we need to give them a taste of what it'd be like if they did come here."

Back in the garage, the phantoms were all meeting around the piano to figure out their set list for tonight.

"Julie and I were thinking we'd start with 'Stand Tall.'"

Alex sat up slightly and approved of Luke's comment, "Perfect."

"Sounds good," Reggie said plainly. So much has happened today. They were going to get their second chance in playing the Orpheum, but Reggie's mind couldn't help but drift to the moment Diana completely disappeared in his arms. It felt like a piece of him was missing.

"Sounds good?" Luke tried to get Reggie amped up. He knew how Reggie was feeling, more than anyone. Diana... It hurt him so much seeing her in that much pain. The thought of Caleb taking complete control over her was just too much to handle, so he just tried to think of what she wanted: for the guys to cross over.

Luke persisted, "Dude, wake up! I wanna hear, 'It sounds awesome!' I know this isn't how we wanted things to turn out, but we gotta be all in tonight. This is our second chance at playing the Orpheum!"

"I- I get it. I get it, but it's hard," Reggie expressed solemnly, "Do we even know what's on the other side when we cross over?" Luke was speechless. He didn't know and that was one of his biggest fears. "Do we all still get to hang together? You... You guys are the only family I have."

Alex looked at Reggie sadly. After he mentioned family, he knew that Diana was on his mind. That was one of the first conversations that him, Reggie, and Diana had altogether. He couldn't even imagine losing Luke and Reggie. They were there for each other from the start, so to imagine them not being together was terrifying.

Alex tried to reassure him, "Yeah, I mean, I don't know what's gonna happen either, but... it's not like we have a choice."

The surge of purple electricity ran through their torsos, and all of them were jolted back due to the sheer intensity. Between pants, Reggie groaned, "I'm pretty sure we do, and it rhymes with the Hollywood Ghost Club."