Under the Weather

I do not own Boruto: Naruto Next Generation. All rights belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Ukyo Kodachi.

**************************************************************
Boruto and Sarada were racing to the mission office to see who could get there first. They burst through the doors, still running top speed, which garnered some odd looks from the shinobi milling around the lobby.

Sarada slid smoothly to a stop right in front of Konohamaru Sensei and Team 10, who were standing near the reception desk. Boruto tried to stop just as smoothly, tripped over his own feet, and fell flat on his face.

"Very smooth," Inojin said dryly.

"Oh, shut up," Boruto said, getting up and dusting himself off. "Where's Mitsuki? He's usually the first one here."

"That's actually what I wanted to talk to you guys about," Konohamaru said. "Turns out Mitsuki is feeling under the weather today, and this mission really requires a full team. Therefore, our mission is being reassigned to Team 10."

"Ehh?!" Boruto and Sarada said in unison.

"So, we're stuck with the mission now? This was supposed to be our day off. What a drag," Shikadai said.

"Shikadai, show some sympathy! It's not Mitsuki's fault that he's sick," Moegi Sensei said.

"Right, sorry," Shikadai said.

"Isn't it a bit unusual though," Cho Cho said. "I mean, I don't ever remember Mitsuki getting sick."

"Well, he's not fibbing, if that's what you're thinking," Konohamaru said. "He contacted me this morning, and he didn't sound too great. So, anyway," he clapped his hands, "Team 7, you can go. I'll debrief Moegi and Team 10."

"Right!" everyone said.

***

Ten minutes later, Boruto and Sarada were walking together down the Main Street towards their respective houses.

"I'm worried about Mitsuki," Sarada said.

"Eh? Why? He's probably just got a cold or something," Boruto said.

"Boruto, Mitsuki is a synthetic human, remember? I don't think he can even get colds."

Boruto put a hand on his chin. "Good point..." He scratched the back of his head and looked off to the side, "dammit, now you've got me worried too. Do you think we should check in on him?"

"I think that would be wise. Maybe we could bring over a care package or something; knowing him, he probably doesn't have much in the way of food or comfort items around his house."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Boruto asked excitedly.

***

About an hour later, Boruto and Sarada arrived at Mitsuki's apartment, several parcels tucked under their arms. Sarada rang the bell.

There was no sound of movement inside for a couple minutes. Boruto was about to suggest that maybe Mitsuki was asleep or had gone down to the corner store when they heard the deadbolt click and the door cracked open. Mitsuki's glowing golden eyes peered at them from inside the darkened apartment.

"Surprise!" Boruto and Sarada said in unison.

"We heard you weren't feeling well," Sarada said.

"So we brought a bunch of stuff over to help you feel better!" Boruto said.

The door opened farther to reveal Mitsuki wrapped in his blue comforter. He looked exhausted, and there were dark bags under his eyes. He squinted in the sunlight.