Closer Than Before

I do not own Boruto: Naruto Next Generation. All rights belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Ukyo Kodachi.

**************************************************************

The boys played another round of cards before switching to Boruto's hand-held video game. Mitsuki watched Boruto play for a while, then Boruto handed him the console and showed him what to do. Mitsuki played for a while with Boruto watching over his shoulder.

Before they new it, three hours had passed, and it was pitch dark outside. Boruto had started to nod off on Mitsuki's shoulder about half an hour before. Mitsuki was enjoying watching his Sun sleep more than the monster fighting game they had been playing together.

Mitsuki's gaze drifted down to his Sun again, and his opponent killed him, causing the console to make a loud GAME OVER sound effect.

Boruto jerked half-awake and sat up. "Huh? What happened?"

"Oh, I lost the game," Mitsuki said cheerfully. "If you're tired, Boruto, perhaps we should go to bed."

Boruto yawned hugely, "Yeah, probably a good idea. Sarada did say not to keep you up all night."

"Mhmm," Mitsuki said.

Boruto went to get ready in the bathroom, while Mitsuki laid down and pulled the covers up to his chest.

Soon, Boruto returned and grabbed his pillow out of the overnight bag he'd brought. "I can't believe we've been friends so long, and I've never slept over here before. I mean, you stay over at my house all the time, but it never occurred to me to stay over here. But anyway, uh, where do you want me to sleep?"

"You can join me if you want," Mitsuki said.

"Eh?!" Boruto turned beet red, "What do you mean 'join you'?!"

Mitsuki turned on his side to face Boruto looking confused. "I meant you can share my bed. There's plenty of room, and it would be more comfortable than the floor."

"Ohhhh, that's what you meant!" Boruto looked relieved.

Mitsuki looked more confused. "What did you think I meant?"

Boruto blushed red all the way to his ears. "Uh, nothing! Forget I said anything!"

"All right..." Mitsuki said, still looking confused.

He shifted his pillow over to the left side of the bed to make room for Boruto, who, after turning the lights off, climbed in and positioned himself and his pillow on the very edge of the right side of the bed so as to give Mitsuki plenty of room.

Mitsuki lay facing his Sun, while Boruto seemed to be looking at something very interesting on the ceiling. Eventually, both boys fell asleep.

***
Fragments of memory rose and fell in the darkness.

Mitsuki was in the forest fighting Deepa.

Boruto's voice called his name.

Deepa's declaration, "and the expedition's almost over."

Boruto's limp body in his arms.

Blue tongues of flame licking his face and body. Power surging through him in great waves.

The desperate flight through the forest and across the desert. Sarada and Boruto in his arms, their pulses growing weaker with each passing second.

His insides burned. He could feel his organs shutting down. He wasn't going to make it.

Darkness punctuated with brief flashes of light and voices that had no sense or meaning.