Chapter 9

If Diana Dupont had been murdered in her bed, then the suspects list was short. Only people with access to the house would have the opportunity. That included the family and the staff. The most pressing motive for killing a wealthy person was the money of course, but Alexis had said the last months of Diana's life the cancer had altered her personality from cold to cruel, so I couldn't rule out spite as a potential motivation either.

           The first person on my list was the maid. For one, she was the easiest to find, and two, I'd caught her snooping in Diana's room and I wanted to know why. Looking for a dropped murder weapon? Making sure the crime scene was clean? Looking for her missing documents? Stealing priceless jewelry? I'd find out.

          Diana's mansion loomed solemnly in the wake of her burial. The scent of wet Florida earth was musty from the stagnant rains of an early morning storm. No sound breached the perimeter but the chirping of happy little birds overhead and the caressing of wind through the trees. I rang the doorbell and plastered a smile on my face—ready to ease any natural suspicion she may have of a stranger. Este opened the door and smiled back, "Yes?", she asked.

          "Hi, I'm Alexis's friend, Evie. I think I saw you at the funeral."

          No spark of recognition lit her face, which suited my purposes just fine. "Come on in." She stepped aside and held the door.

          I made a show of wiping my feet on the mat, then entered the threshold with my head high and my shoulders relaxed. "Shame about Diana, huh?" I said as she led me through the high-ceilinged foyer.

          "Yes, ma'am." Her voice was curt but polite.

          "The repass was crazy, huh?"

          "Yes, ma'am."

          "Crazy family."

          "Mm hmm." She barely looked over as we quickly stepped through the dining room.

          I was undeterred. "Even crazier how she died. Such a spitfire wasting away from cancer."

         "She was quite a woman." Well, at least it was a complete sentence.

          Este excused herself to go get Alexis while I waited in a polished living room. I sat down on a comfy gray sofa and occupied myself by looking around. There was nothing unusual, just an ordinary living room with seating, coffee table, and flat screen above the mantle.

          I twiddled my thumbs and watched the clock. I'd told Alexis that when I stopped by, she should pretend to be busy so I could have time with Este by myself. This part of the job was about making people feel comfortable enough with me to speak openly. Good thing I'm such a damn people person.

          The wall to my left was full of old color photos encircling what looked like an AKA emblem. My curiosity (and boredom) got the better of me so I got up and walked over to stretch my legs and get a closer look. Sure enough, the wall was a collage of Diana's time as an active member of Alpha Kappa Alpha. Each picture was a stamp in time of Diana's life as a sorority sister—a part of life she shared with my mother, though mom was less enamored with having any pink and green décor around the house.

            In one of the pictures a cheery Diana stood next to a smiling woman with a soft round face and straightened and curled hair. I couldn't shake the feeling I'd seen her before but had to put it out of my mind as Este came back with a serving platter full of freshly made scones and lemon water.

           "She's coming." Este said with a significant huff in her voice. Going up and down those stairs all day is probably taxing. I knew two things about Este. She was an immigrant, thanks to the dates on her passport, and she was a maid. From that, I deduced the quickest way to have her open up was talking about work.