Chapter 13

I still wasn't one hundred percent convinced that Diana was murdered, but what I did know was that Robert was a snake in sheep's clothing. Why and how he knew to search me was the million-dollar question. Though the other questions gnawed too. Why did Diana put Este's passport in that box? Could have been a warning that she was the murderer, true, but it also could have had something to do with the cancer. The wild, sporadic note she'd written to Alexis claimed the government was out to get her, so for all I know she died thinking Este was some sort of spy sent to assassinate her. Which would void the passport of all true meaning.

          The will, therefore, was the most concrete piece of evidence I had.

          And it had Robert's grimy hands all over it. That meant it could be the key to solving whatever's going on here. I needed to know who stood to benefit the most from Diana's death.

          That's what was on my mind as I took orders the next day. I turned the information over silently as I walked a tray of vanilla macchiatos and a plate of strawberry turnovers to table three. Forty-five minutes and one generous tip later they were gone, and I was bussing the table. The bus tub sitting on top of the utility cart that stood in the back near the kitchen was full to the brim, so I grabbed it on my way in the back and stepped into the kitchen.

          On one side of the room, Jackson was kneading tomorrow's dough. On the other side, Devonte was elbows deep in soapy water. In his ears were white earbuds. His head bopped up and down as he mumbled his way through out of tune lyrics. I stepped next to him and put down the bus tub. He jumped when he saw me, I jumped in return.

         "Sorry." We said at the same time.

          "It's fine." I straightened up and willed my heart to stop its erratic beating. "When you're done with the dishes, I need you to help Lana finish bussing those tables."

          Poor boy's voice practically shook. "Yes, ma'am."

          "You don't have to call me ma'am."

          "Yes ma—Okay."

          I left him with the dishes and walked over to Jackson. He smiled when he saw me, no doubt suppressing a snicker at Devonte's interaction with me. "Hey, Evie."

          "Jackson, when you're done, I want to go over the summer menu."

          "Okay." He folded the dough into itself until it was sculpted into a ball. Then, he placed it in one of five bowls and covered it. "A little early though."

          "I want something a little different than last year. We need to go through the testing phase." I wasn't sure how much longer I'd have Jackson if he followed his plans to become a trucker. Better to milk the golden cow while you can.

          "I do have some ideas..."

           "Great. I want to hear them."

          With my in-house business temporarily finished I excused myself to my office to make some phone calls.

          Robert had had me investigated for some reason. How he knew who I was made no sense to me so the quickest road to answers was to ask the source. To qualify for my P.I. license I'd had to apprentice with Wolff Investigations for about three months. The business was run by three brothers—Ric, J.P. and Will Wolff.

          I pulled up the number and dialed from my cell. It rang for a beat then connected me to the front desk. "Wolff Investigations. Jenn speaking."