The Harbinger: Black Birds

Caw!

I looked up, worry increasing. Those birds had been following me around town for a good two hours now.

Black feathers, and intense, beady black eyes tracked down my every move as I walked with Wyn to his classmate's house. He was going trick or treating with a group of friends, and after I dropped him off, I would be meeting my friends at the bash Cath was hosting.

I watched as my little brother ran toward the house in front of us, the door shutting behind him. The parent standing outside waved at me before going inside.

Caw!

A shiver ran down my spine, and I could hear the swish of feathers as the crows flew behind me.

"Raina!" A voice called, and I turned my head to see my sister, Riley, and her boyfriend Andrew. They walked towards me.

Raina was wearing an outfit almost identical to mine, a baby doll dress with stockings and Mary Janes. Her dress, however, was blue, while mine was red.

I shook my head and chuckled. Ever since we were younger, Riley always insisted that we match for Halloween, and not a year went by that we wore separate costumes.

The birds called again, and my palms became sweaty as my nerves spiked. I rushed toward the two figures, giving Andrew a smile and nod, then grabbing my sister's hand. She took it, swinging our arms as we walked to Cath's house.

Caw!

"Jeez, these crows are really at it today. I hope nobody dies tonight. At this rate, they might wipe out the whole town."

Riley and I both turned back to look at Andrew, in sync.

"What're you talking about?" Riley asked, intrigued.

"What, never heard of that harbinger? I guess that makes sense, your family is new here, after all. But they say that if crows follow you and caw, they're warning you that someone's going to die."

"Pfft. Don't be an idiot, Andrew. They're probably just hungry."

Riley continued to giggle, amused. She didn't believe it.

As Andrew's words sunk in, I pondered. The crows had been following me, no matter where in the town I went. Were they really just hungry? Or did they bring bad omens with them? If the latter was true, did that mean that I was going to die?

I turned back to look at the crows following me. As I continued to stare, a sudden head splitting pain took over. I groaned, doubling over from the agony. It felt as though someone had hit it with an ax.

Images flitted through my vision, none of them real. There were flashes of color, sudden instances of sound. My blood ran cold.

The wail of sirens. The ambulance parked outside of Cath's home. The body on the stretcher, wearing a red baby doll dress and Mary Janes. The white blanket over her.

Me.

"Is she still...?"

"No. Her heart stopped before we got to her. Shame, she was so young as well."

Then the vision ended. The headache vanished, leaving just as quickly as it came.

Riley and Andrew were by my side, both panicking.

"Oh god Raina- are you okay?"

"I'm..fine."

Caw!

Surrounding us, there were crows perched on branches, squawking louder than earlier. Urgently. Afraid.

Andrew and Riley's eyes widened in concern, spooked by the sudden cacophony of noise.

"We're taking you home, right now." Riley said, determined.

"Andrew, get her other arm."

I didn't complain as they hoisted me off the pavement and settled me into Andrew's car. When we got home, Riley put me straight to bed. I stripped off my costume and placed it on the chair beside my bed, and when Riley made the move to do the same, I shook my head.

"Riley, you should go with Andrew to the party."

She frowned at my response.

"No, I told Andrew I would stay with you-"

Still insisting, I hugged my sister. I was not going to that party- even if I was given the option to- but I knew that Riley had been really excited for it. What if this turned out to just be me being superstitious, and Riley missed the party for nothing? I wasn't going to take that away from her.

I smiled.

"Don't worry. I can take care of myself. Go have fun."

Her face softened.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Go have enough fun for the both of us."

She left, and I heard the front door slam shut. Hurrying downstairs, I locked all the doors and windows. I didn't show it to Riley, but I was terrified.

Caw!

I drew the blinds and huddled in my room, eventually falling asleep.

+++

My sleep was suddenly broken when the howling of sirens sped past my window. I froze, but then relaxed when they didn't stop in my neighborhood. I made my way out of bed, however, something strange in my periphery caused me to pause.

On the chair beside my bed, there was a blue baby doll dress. Not red.

Not mine.

A note was placed beside the chair, in Riley's loopy handwriting.

Took your dress instead, figured I'd look better in red. If you feel unwell, call me immediately.  -Love, Riley

A shiver ran down my spine.

I looked at the clock, tense. I had been asleep for two hours.

My phone rang. Andrew. I was about to speak when I heard the sound of sirens on the other end of the line. Andrew was sobbing.

Stuttering badly, he cried into the phone.

"Raina- I'm so sorry. Riley was fine- but her drink was poisoned."

Tears slipped from my eyes as I realized.

No.

"Andrew, what are you saying?"

"She's dead, Raina. She's dead."

No.

The phone fell from my grasp as I started screaming. Andrew said something else on the line, but I wasn't listening.

I was still living, so the world had decided to take my identical twin instead. To punish me.

It was all my fault.

+ + +

Word Count: 999