POTIONS, INC.

This year, I was half expecting it to be a joke.

But as I stare at the rusty, big lettering on the front of the shop, I pause.

The people who were camping her earlier must have left, after wondering if the place reappeared or not.

And it did. For as long as we could remember, the shop would manifest at the end of the street, waiting. Then a few hours afterward, it would vanish as if it were never there in the first place. My parents have repeatedly told me not to enter it, but I've always assumed that this was because they didn't trust newcomers.

The place is always vacant, lights on but nobody found inside.

I stand across the street, simply examining the old building.

POTIONS INC.

Boring. Nothing ever happened here anyway.

I turn to leave, but a sudden flash of light stops me.

It came from the store.

There is still no sign of life in there, so before my mind has a chance to protest, my legs carry me toward the front door.

A bell jingles as the door swings open, welcoming me into a dark room. There is a counter, and multiple shelves lining the walls.

All empty.

The further I venture, the more I become attracted to a door off to the side. There is a shining light behind it, the only light in the whole place.

I gently grasp the door knob, my heart thumping. The door opens with a click, and I stumble forward into a room identical to the one I just left. The difference, though, is immense. There are jars of strange colorful liquids inside, and various charms lining the counter and walls.

Behind the counter sits a woman. She has short, streaky blond hair in a bob-cut, and a wide smile.

She smiles bigger as I hesitantly step forward.

"Hello!" She chirps.

"Welcome to Potions INC. It's been a while since we had a customer."

The grin on her face catches me off guard, when I realize that she has way more teeth than an average human should.

"Is there anything that interests you here?"

I shake my head, no, and notice as she avoids making eye contact.

A chill runs up my spine.

She waves around the room, gesturing to the packed shelves and walls.

"We've got a bunch of knick-knacks here that you might like! Take a look!"

At this moment she turns to me and we make eye contact. Her irises are pitch black, making the eyes just look like big pupils.

I tense at the sight, prepared to run, but the jingling of the doorbell stops me in my tracks.

Her smile gets even bigger.

"Oh, Vengeance! Welcome! Look, we've got a new mortal host for you to use!"

Out of the corner of my eye I see a floating black mass.

Vengeance.

She then looks at me.

"Welcome to Potions INC, the ghoulish shop so sensational, you'll never be able to leave."

+ + +

[500 Words]

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 [𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐲] ✔ 🎉