Mysterious Forest

"I don't remember there being a forest here?"

"That's because there isn't."

Jeonghan whipped his head around, startled. Before him stood a dark forest, silent as he strode closer. He didn't go outside very much, so was perplexed when he came across the forest.

His heart leapt in his chest as he spotted who had spoken up. He couldn't see their face, cloaked in black, shielding the identity underneath.

Jeonghan had wandered off alone midway through the Halloween party his friend Hoshi had thrown. Exhausted, he had started to make his way home.

"Who are you?"

At his question, the figure slowly stepped forward, and Jeonghan was met with one of the most beautiful men he had ever seen.

High cheekbones, and a sharp jawline adorned the stranger's face, and Jeonghan felt his heart stutter. From nerves or amazement, he didn't know.

Though the man was beautiful, he seemed peculiar. Surrounding him was an aura of light, matching the sunshine smile the stranger wore.

"Who am I? I'm an angel."

At those words, Jeonghan watched as the other's eyes turned a bit sad. Trying to ease the atmosphere, Jeonghan chuckled.

"That's cool. Look, I'm an angel too!" He said as he spun, flaunting the jewels and sparkles on his outfit. The faux wings that attached to his back swung a bit at the motion.

"I think your costume is better than mine, though. How did you get the light effect to surround you?"

The angel shook his head.

"No matter. You should get going now, it's dark. If you decide to go through the forest, however, be careful. Don't believe anything that happens in there. If you fail, you might not get to leave. You'll be stuck here."

The sad look returned in the angel's eyes. As if looking back on the past, they glazed over and filled with immeasurable pain.

The warning had made Jeonghan uneasy. It was quiet for a little bit, the crickets singing in the ambience of the night. Figuring that this person was merely playing a harmless trick on him, he nodded and turned to face the forest.

"I'll be careful."

Maybe it was a shortcut that would take him home faster.

About to ask the angel another question, the sudden silence caught him off guard. Empty. The angel was nowhere to be found, and even the crickets had all hushed to witness what came next.

Jeonghan could tell that there was something wrong, as soon as he stepped into the forest.

It was dead silent, so quiet that not even the animals made a single sound. The forest, despite being filled with so many trees and bushes, was empty. Empty, except for Jeonghan.

"Jeonghan?" A voice called from within the overgrowth.

Confused, Jeonghan replied.

"Cheol?"

Seungcheol was one of his best friends, and they had known each other since childhood. Wasn't he back at the party?

"Hanie... I think we should stop hanging out."

Jeonghan's eyes widened.

"What? Why?

He couldn't even see Seungcheol speaking. He tried to follow the voice but it led to a dead end. All that was there was the darkness.

"You never liked being alone, did you Jeonghan? You told me that. But I realized something: I don't want any weak friends. It's better if you're lonely."

"I'm not weak." Jeonghan trembled. The voice that had spoken to him was distorted, odd.

"I'm not lonely either." He added, whipping his head around as he started to run away.

"Liar." The voice followed him.

"You always act all caring and happy... But you just don't want people to leave you. How pathetic. No matter how strong you think you are, you're just useless. You're nothing. Stay here, and maybe you won't be so lonely."

Nothing.

Was he really nothing?

Jeonghan didn't want to believe it.

Instead of responding, he tried to trace his memory back to before. He had to leave immediately.

But... Did he want to leave?

Yes, he did!

But did he...? If he stayed here, maybe he didn't have to be afraid.

Maybe it would be better here?

No.

He had to leave.

Pulling himself together, he was reminded of everything back at home. How Seungcheol would never think of him as weak, and that he wasn't alone.

With those thoughts repeating in his head like mantras, he walked and walked until he saw the exit point.

As he stepped out of the brush, a soft glow and voice greeted him. The angel.

"You did well." The angel said, a soft smile gracing his features.

He hugged Jeonghan, and the latter felt himself fading into deep black as he lost his consciousness.

+++

"Oh my god, Hanie!"

"Guys- he's awake!"

The commotion woke Jeonghan up, and he was met with a dozen faces, all of his panicked friends.

"Jeonghan! We thought you left early! You were lying outside the forest... scared us witless. Are you hurt? Can you get up?"

"I-I'm fine.." He mumbled in return, wincing at the pain in his head. As he grasped reality, a tender feeling overcame him.

You did well.

+++

Word Count: 847

Can you tell that I've never written fan fiction before...?