Chapter 2

I quickly rush out of my bed to go wake my brother up. But when I stand up I see that the fire is already in the house. Then I hear a shout from my brother who is standing under the wooden archway entrance to my room.

“Katrina, we need to get out of here now!” Ulric shouts with sweat running down his face and his cat in his arms.

I quickly run out of my room towards him. We both run down the stairs as fast as we can. Once we reach the end of the stairs, we see Enzo kicking down the door. The front room is almost completely covered with fire. Then Enzo takes the bucket of water in his hands and tosses the water on the fire.

“Hurry, the fire is spreading!” Enzo yells at us as we stand at the steps unable to move out of fear. When we finally gain stability  again, we make our way cautiously through the fire and make it through the door. “Go to the inn with Ottair and stay there until I tell you to move or that catches on fire as well,” Enzo says panting.

We quickly run towards the inn, we see Ottair standing at the entrance crying at the sight of the town burning down.

“Ottair are you okay?” I ask him trying to keep him calm.

“M-my inn it might burn,” Ottair says with  sweat and tears running down his face. “The inn it’s all I have. If it burns down I won't be able to pay for the repairs,” he cries out as he starts curling up into a ball.

“Ottair, Ottair, hey it’s going to be okay. The fire probably won't reach the inn anyways, Enzo and his team have it under control. Alright…. Ottair?” I look at Ottair still struggling to calm him.

“Okay,” Ottair says with his whole body shaking.

"Oh my God,” Ulric yells at the top of his lungs as I turn around to see the statue that is right next to our house fall over. I brace myself for the dust and pieces of the statute that soon cover us. We all try to regain sight, but the cloud of dust covers our vision.

"Go to the church,” we hear a man scream. I wait for the dust to clear up. When it does, I see that Ottair is no longer by me or Ulric.

Then I see Ulric spring up and grab my hand and say, “Katrina, we need to go now!”

“My inn!” we hear Ottair yell as the inn starts to catch on fire as well. “Oh….oh no,” Ottair says in fear.

“What?” I say fixing my hair that is covering in my face.

“Th-the liquor… it’s going to explode,” he says with more fear in every word.

“Ottair we need to go now!” Ulric shouts as he pulls Ottair and me away from the inn and to the church.

As we start making our way down the street, we hear a loud explosion, It’s the inn.

“No, not my inn! Everything I worked for gone just like that. Why?... why?,” Ottair screams out in pain with tears on his face, while Ulric holds him back from running towards the inn.

“Ottair, we need to go now your life is more important than that inn.” I say as I try to comfort Ottair in the best way I can.

“That’s all I had….everything.” he says starting to stand up to make his way to the church.

As we run towards the church, we see more and more of the town catching on fire. The town we once knew gone, just like that. These are the moments where I get the most stressed out when I’m not in control of this situation. In fact, I am losing more control every minute that passes by. As the fire spreads through the entire town, so does the fear invading every inch of my body.

“Hurry, come in,” a woman says as she stands behind the door with her head poking out to see what's happening outside. Once we come in, she grabs my shoulder with one hand while she has a baby in the other arm. “Have you seen Enzo? I am his wife, Lyra, and I am just really scared and”

“Shhh- he is fine. He saving people he’ll be okay.” I say looking into her eyes. I could tell she was full of fear.

Sorry, it’s just that I don't want our baby to live without a father,” she says as she pushes herself against the wall crying while her long brown hair covers her face.

“Hey, look it’s going to be fine,” I say sitting next to her as she weeps.

“The bridge has just burned down,” Edmen says as he enters the room.

“Where is Enzo, Edmen? Where is he.” Lyra screams at Edmen holding his shoulders.

“Right here my love” Enzo says as he walks into the church with his arms open to hug her. Lyra goes straight for Enzo and hugs him. The moment Lyra hugged Enzo she had a relief in her eyes. They both have such a loving bond. It reminds me of what my Finecá had.

"Alright, we need to go through the sewers and get out of here," Enzo shouts so everyone in the church could hear him.

Edmen started to move everyone towards the sewer tunnel which was underneath the church, but then  we hear a loud roar. As we turn around to react to the sudden sound, we see the entrance to the church blown apart by a giant fiery griffin. Most of the entrance crumbles and falls on Enzo. I turn to look at Lyra. She puts her hands over her mouth, falls down, and starts crying.

“Everyone get down” Edmen yells. As he draws his bow to shoot the beast. Squinting one eye he aims the arrow at the moving target. “C’mon,” He whispers under his breath. He shoots.. We hear the beast welp out of pain and crash into the water. Edmen takes a minute to regain himself and then rushes to the fallen debris where Enzo lays under.

“Enzo!” Edmen and I shout franticly as we look for him.

“I-I’m here,” Enzo says with a faint voice.

“Oh my God, Enzo,” Edmen says as he removes the stone on top Enzo’s body. He Picks up Enzo and brings him to the crowd.

“Everybody give him some space please!” I yell as I see that Enzo's arm is snapped in half.

“I-Is the fire out? Did anyone g-get hurt?” Enzo asks.

“They're all fine. The team is getting the fire put out. It will be a lot easier now that we don’t have to deal with that griffin,” Edmen responds comforting Enzo.

“Here, do you need this?” Ulric says handing out his vest to me.

“Yes I do, thank you.” I say taking Uric's vest. I start to wrap the vest around Enzo’s arm trying to put his bones back in their right place. “There now, don’t move it enzo,” I tell Enzo with a stern voice. “Does anyone else need help?” I say. Nobody says anything so I turn back around to help Enzo up.

“Hey, let me get him,” Lyra says with a smile. I could tell she was grateful that her husband and baby were alive.

I start to head over to Ulric. “Crazy day ah,” I say with a bit of a chuckle. We look around at everyone in the town crying with tears of gratefulness.

“Yeah I guess so. But I wonder who or what started the fire,” Ulric said with a concerned look on his face.

I agreed that it couldn’t have been the griffin because we would have seen it sooner. So many things are going through my mind. Maybe it was the figure on the roof last night? Is someone trying to kill me? But who?