Round 2

Neal left the agency with a paper in his hand. A paper that saved Kathy's life. And his, at least temporarily. He had sent a message to Mozzie. But only Mozzie would have any chance to see it for the call for help that it was. And from there to get it to Peter... Well, he knew Mozzie. When it came to contacting FBI, it might take some time.

"That's my boy," Wilkes said when Neal gave him the paper. He checked its contents. "Kathy's children thank you. Ready for round two?"

"I don't think I'm up for round two."

"That'd be an ill-advised life choice," he got as a reply from a face that could be carved in stone.

"Why? You'll kill me?"

"Don't test me, Neal."

"Tell Jim to put that red dot on my head and pull the trigger if you don't think I'm serious."

"It's like I'm talking Mandarin," Wilkes complained. "How about I kick things off by killing my sweet little hostage?"

"I'm starting to wonder if you even have Lindsay," Neal provoked.

Wilkes considered, looked over Neal's shoulder and made a gesture with his thumb. Neal turned his head and wondered if the last thing he would see was a red dot from a laser sight, blinding him. But no Jimmy as on the roof-top any longer.

"Why don't we take a break, let you think about this? Last thing I want you to do is... drag your heels."

Neal did not trust that smile at all. The van returned and stopped beside him. The door to the cargo opened.

"Please," Wilkes gestured. "Get in."

Neal did without fuss. Still, Wilkes shoved him towards the wall. Neal sat down.

"Where we going?"

"You talk too much," his kidnapper replied and gestured to the goon in the van. "Tase this man again."

It was nothing Neal wanted to experience again.

"That's really not nec—" The taser met his arm. He had a vague idea that he had screamed before he passed out.

Peter's colleagues had insisted on him getting some sleep during the night and now he was glad that they had. He stood in the conference room with every man and woman available, working on any clue they had found on Wilkes. They had even found that his grandmother was alive and lived in Wyoming. When Lauren had called, claiming she was an old classmate and she worked for the upcoming reunion party, the old woman had no idea where 'little Ryan' was.

Rice returned to the office.

"I've got BOLOs out on your van description," he told her. "N.Y.P.D. is canvassing the area where Neal was taken."

"We just found this in Gless' mail," she said and held up a CD. "It was sent before Caffrey was taken."

Peter hurried to put it into a CD player and turned the TV on.

The image of a brick wall and a girl holding yesterday's newspaper filled the image. The girl was Lindsay.

"Hi, Daddy, I'm okay, but you need to do what they ask. Now. Or I won't be okay. I love you."

And the film was over.

"All right, everybody, watch it again," Peter said. "Anything jumps out at you, call it."

"Hi, Daddy." The message started over.

Peter watched the brick wall, listened for sounds in the background.