Diana

Peter waited on a park bench in an open area where no one could be watching without being seen. He heard steps of high heals behind him and turned. He was met by Diana's smile. She sat down beside him.

"Thanks for coming."

"You knew I would, boss," she laughed.

"You don't have to call me that anymore," he said. Diana was the smartest probie he ever had. "How's, uh..."

"Christy?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, she's good."

"Good. Good, good. Good," he found himself repeating. He did not know how to get to the reason she was there. "You guys like D.C.?"

"Different city, same paperwork. I should've stuck around," she said. "Probably more interesting with Caffrey around."

"Too interesting."

Diana picked it up at once.

"He's the reason I'm here?"

Peter nodded. He sighed and let his eyes sweep the area before he continued.

"Diana, what I'm about to ask you to do is a lot more than paperwork. I need you to look into an OPR agent. Agent Garrett Fowler. Somehow he's manipulating Neal's anklet."

"Why?"

"Neal has access to something he wants."

"Sounds like he hasn't changed."

"No. Same old Neal." At least on the aspect that he did any stunt needed to get Kate back, Peter thought. When it came to other things... well, maybe their had been a change.

"He still wearing the hat?" Diana asked.

"Oh, please."

She laughed. Then she got serious.

"Boss, if I shall do this, I want to know what's going on."

Peter could not agree more.

"There is this music box that belonged to Catherine the Great. I'm not sure if Fowler is controlling Kate or the other way around. Or if there is a third person involved as well. But someone wants this box and thought that Neal had it."

Diana nodded.

"Yeah, it was one of the rumors we heard, remember?"

No, Peter did not remember, but Neal Caffrey's name had been on many suspected crimes and they paid attention to the ones they at least knew were crimes by someone, and not just a rumored crime no one even reported.

"Well, in this case, he did not steal it and I don't think he had any idea where it was. But then one Alex Hunter walked into his life and now I think he and Alex are going to steal it. With the help of Fowler who turned his tracker off. Officially, Neal is in house arrest, and is in his home."

"And you know he is not?"

"We had a talk yesterday, in my house, after Fowler arrested my wife and I punched the scumbag on the jaw." Peter saw Diana's look. "Yes, I'm on suspension. And I know for sure that Neal would never do anything to deliberately harm Elizabeth. Fowler tried to get rid of me, to help Neal succeed."

"Why would Neal try when he knows you're on to what he is doing?"

"Because he thinks he'll get Kate back."

"Even if it means he'll go back to prison."

"Yeah," Peter nodded with a sigh. "Just as I would fight for El. And you for Christy."