Party

Neal was dressed in his finest suit and an Italian tie. He passed the security guards on his way into the Italian consulate. He carried nothing of interest to them and he walked up the grand staircase to the upper floors where the party was held. It was sure a sublime building they had. He looked around and saw the man he was searching for.

"Signor Tomassi!"

The man looked in his direction and seemed to force a smile to his face.

"Ah. Mr. Dunvarry."

They met each other in a handshake.

"Please, call me George," Neal said.

"George," the other returned. "Thank you again for your remarkable donation."

"Oh, well, I know how important Fancelli's work is to Italian sculpture. I couldn't just let it sit on my family's attic collecting dust."

One of the reasons Mr. Tomassi did not seem to like the charming and generous George Dunvarry: A rich brat who did not applicate Italian sculpture enough but rather dumped the statue with them than giving up something of value. Just as Neal wanted it.

"No," Mr. Tomassi replied, "of course not. The consul general has requested the piece be placed in perfect view of his office. Fancelli is his favorite artist."

"Really? I had no idea," Neal lied. "Could I see it?"

"I'm sorry. I'm afraid that won't be possible. But rest assured, it's very safe," he told Mr. Dunvarry who now looked a bit sad. Now Neal beamed instead and Mr. Tomassi guided him towards the halls for the party. "Please enjoy your evening."

Neal walked into a room with a big chandelier, ornamented ceiling, and gigantic vases with over-sized flowers.

"Ketel One on the rocks, please," he said to the bartender.

"Of course."

He glanced around in the room and saw Mozzie. They exchanged a quick eye before his eyes wandered further. Alex and her duke were just met in the door by someone who wanted to greet the nobility. His eyes met Alex's.

He got his drink. Time to get things moving. Mozzie entered with a tray with two filled glasses. Tomassi stood by the door, near Alex. He pattered on his right jacket pocket and Alex caught the signal.

Mozzie bumped into Tomassi, just enough to distract him.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, sir," he said and Alex sneaked passed them. He adjusted the glasses on the tray. "Excuse me."

Alex walked up to him by the bar.

"Nice lift." He kissed her hand and Signor Tomassi's key card slipped into his own hand.

"This will get you through the first door," she mumbled. "You cleaned up nice."

"Not so bad yourself."

Alex took two glasses of champagne.

"Good luck, Caffrey," she whispered as she moved to return to her duke.

"Alex?" he said and she turned back to him. "Which safe is it?"

"Triple-walled, case-hardened steel 1943 McKenzie."

"Couldn't make this easy, could they?"

"Where's the fun in that?" she flirted back at him.

"I'll see you on the inside."

He watched her leave and return to her young duke and handed him his glass.

Well, it was time for him to get into the spotlight. He grabbed a glass of champagne from a passing waitress and walked to the middle of the room.