2| The Fault In My Lucky Stars

"If you like your coffee hot, let me be your coffee pot. You call the shots babe, I just wanna be yours." —Arctic Monkeys.

Chapter Theme Song: 'I Wanna Be Yours' by Arctic Monkeys. (Theme Song #1 of the entire novel.)

••

••

Kelly

"Cause teacher there are things that I don't want to learn, and the last one I had made me cry!"

I am singing the song 'One More Try' by George Michael in the shower, applying the soap onto my rag with a face covered in suds. I blink my eyes from the burn, positioning my head beneath the running water in a bid to wash it out, all the while humming inexpertly under my breath. That's literally the only line I know in the song and I keep repeating it like a broken record, but it surely doesn't matter because I am home, in my own bathroom, gallivanting under the warm spring of the shower and unwinding after a day of atrocity. I can do what I want, without worrying about someone ogling me at every action of mine.

I step out onto the furry mat by the tub, crinkling my toes into its softness as I reach for a towel from my rack, quickly drying myself while singing under my breath. I slip on my flower-patterned nightie and leave the bathroom, contemplating on whether to start my class assignments, but the inviting scent of cornbread and lasagna can be smelt from upstairs, and so I postpone the thought until I feed this loud growl in my stomach.

Loud growl that managed to embarrass me in front of that bastard today. And despite the fact that his student was starving, he still ate the entire cupcake. Dusting his fingers together elegantly as if he has no clue what compassion is. I can't wait to graduate in a few months. Then I wouldn't have to see his irksome face ever again.

I am eighteen in my last year of high school —for the second time. I got pushed back in the twelfth grade last year because I wasn't performing as the principal had said. Yeah, it was embarrassing seeing all your year group members wearing those dark blue gowns and black hats, walking on that red carpet, and throwing out their college fantasizes. While I am stuck at Camber High for one more year. Stuck with the devil as a teacher.

Mr. Todd teaches Advanced History. I didn't get a chance to do the class last year because the principal had told my mom that it was best if I dropped the subject. After all, I wouldn't have been able to handle it along with my other courses. Seeing that I am a 'slow' student, according to them. I am not, maybe a tad lazy, but I am not slow. They had formulated that idea as a way to assist me with juggling my other classes, but it turned out to be a failed attempt when I did pretty badly at the end of the term. Hence, my parents were advised that I redo the entire senior year. I got jeered for it, pretty badly, and it took a toll on me the whole summer; however, I somehow got over it —for the most part— and came back with a new drive and mindset. I am trying to do better, though it may not look that way in the eyes of everyone else. Including, Mr. Todd.