5| You're Being Too Rough

"How do we fall in love harder than a bullet could hit ya?" —Bishop Briggs.

Chapter Theme Song: 'River' by Bishop Briggs.

••

Kelly

I must be getting mad.

Is this what happens when you feed on oily junk food, particularly the deep-fried bacon and chicken nuggets from McDonald's? Because I am not myself at all. I am convinced that my brain somehow got clogged with grease.

Mr. Todd is causing my heart to pound in ways I have never experienced before, and my cheeks seem to be on the verge of catching this room ablaze—the gasoline being the unfamiliar proximity between us. Being this close to him is playing tricks on my hormones and I think accepting his assistance was one of the worst choices I have ever made. I feel weird and it's creeping the life out of me.

His eyes are drilling into mine and though I am fearful of him seeing the vibrant color in my cheeks, I can't seem to look away. I am falling into his honey-colored abysses, drowning in the deep capacity they hold and getting lost in the foreign feelings they are evoking within me.

Yes, I am getting mad. It is official.

He puts his palms flat against the arms of my chair, upholding his steady scrutiny as he drops his voice to a low pitch.

"You didn't see half of what I just did, did you, Kelly?"

I blink my eyes, finally breaking our stare-off as I look down to regard the perfectly knotted tie around my neck.

When did that happen?

I look back up, the warmth in my cheeks now drastically overheating. "N-no, sir. Could you go again?"

I wait to hear a derogatory retort, but he surprises me by sitting upright and putting his hands on my tie. "Kelly."

"Yes, sir?"

"You know I hate repeating myself, right?" He begins to loosen the tie again while I nod to his question, my chin brushing against the smooth skin of his knuckle.

"Then why is it that you always make me have to?" He lifts his gaze to mine again, staring directly into my skittish orbs.

This man is way too confident when it comes to eye contact and I can't keep up. Stop looking into my eyes, goddamnit!

I feel the same heat crawling its way onto my face again, and I drift my eyes to a stack of books on the table behind him, counting how many they are to keep the blushes away.

Keep this up Kelly and the man will think you're crushing on him.

"I'm sorry."

"I hate apologies. Which is why I prefer you to not put yourself in the position to make them. Look at my hands and don't look away."