Get Me A Beer!

Family time in the living room, whoop dee doo. TV blaring before bedtime. I was laying on the floor on my belly resting my eyes, Mom and my stepdad Donnie were cuddling on the couch, he was chugging his second beer down before letting out a quick burp.

"Birdie, get me another beer," Donnie said.

I pretended to be asleep or something. I was tired as shit anyway.

"Birdie, I'm talkin' to you girl."

"I think she feel asleep," Mom whispered.

"Well, I think she better get up."

"Let me get you a beer Donnie."

"I want her to."

"Donnie let me-"

"Shut up."

I felt an empty beer can hit me on the back. I shot up pretending he woke me.

"Get me a beer."

I walked to the fridge to get him a beer, he started talking again as I walked back to my spot.

"It's just one man and two women in this house, I'm the man of the house, I deserve some more respect- TURN AROUND!"

I turned to him.

"I said I'm the man and I deserve more respect than this! Both of yinz gotta do as I say or you'll suffer the consequences, I can tell you this many times."

"Record it on a cassette player, it'll last longer," I said.

"We don't have one you goddamn smart aleck-"

"You know what I think it's bedtime, you gotta get up and go to school tomorrow," Mom said to me.

I got up.

"Pick up the beer can and trash it," Donnie said.

I picked it up and threw it away.

"Good night honey," Mom said.

"Good night Mom."

I started to walk.

"Aren't you gonna say good night to me?" Donnie asked.

"Oh my bad, good night Donnie," I said sarcastically.

Donnie stood up.

"You're fixin' to get it Birdie!"

"Donnie, calm down, she's a teenager, all teens get an attitude every now and again."

"Now and again my ass, she disrespects me nearly every day! Hey you may as well get your ass to bed because you're pretty close to a beatin'."

I ran off to my room. I have no idea why Mom married Donnie. She's too scared to tell anyone he hits her and she says for me not to either, he doesn't hit me as much, for me it's mostly grabbing and shoving and shaking. Why don't he slap me? I don't know, maybe because I'm sixteen years old, I was eleven when I met Donnie. I may have to brace myself when I turn eighteen.