Good Things

Those cookies were actually better than they were last night, I just had my second one for breakfast. I saw Donnie walk in from his and Mom's room, he was getting ready for work.

"Good morning Donnie," I said politely.

He looked at me, stared for a few seconds before responding.

"Mornin' Birdie. Gettin' a taste of your own medicine huh?"

"I'm eating a couple for breakfast, it's not as bad as you think."

He snorted.

"Who the fuck puts raisins in cookies?"

"I don't know but it's pretty good. It's cooled off and storaged in the oven overnight, it's better than it was. Come here and give it another chance?"

"Why?"

"It tastes better than it was, it was just getting out of the oven last night, it tastes much better now, trust me."

He slowly walked to me.

"I would never poison anyone on purpose Donnie, Mom wouldn't neither."

"If it tastes exactly the same, I'll tear your ass up like I did last night."

He got a cookie and took a bite, as he chewed, his face went from disgust to a more positive look. I think he actually liked it this time. 

"Birdie, I gotta be honest with you, you're right."

I smiled.

"It's not as bad as last night."

"Take a couple to snack on at work."

"I can't eat n drive a long haul at the same time, that'd be stupid as shit."

"I didn't say eat and drive, just whenever you get the chance."

He nodded.

"Ok I will, thanks Birdie."

"You're welcome."

"Get your ass to school."

I got my backpack and walked out the door.

After school, I walked back home, Donnie's truck wasn't home, that meant he was working late. I ran in the house, got in the living room closet and got one of Donnie's fishing poles and his tackle and ran back outside to the pond. I've been sneaking out going fishing since we moved in with Donnie. I love fishing! I'm a natural at it too! Donnie really would be impressed if he knew but I'm sure as hell not gonna tell him because he'll beat my ass if he found out I used his stuff. 

I caught a small fish but let it go when I saw Mom's car pull in. I ran in the house but I knew she saw me. I put Donnie's fishing stuff in the closet, sat down, and turned on the TV. Mom walked in.

"Birdie, I saw you out there, don't pretend I didn't."

I laughed.

"You were fishing in the pond with Donnie's pole and tackle."

"Yes, don't tell him please."

"Using other people's stuff without their permission is disrespectful."

"Well...Donnie disrespects us."

"He doesn't know better, he's a good man deep down, he has a good heart."

"He probably is if you're not married to him!"

"Birdie, honey, I can't ask for a divorce. We have no choice but to live with this."

"You're just too scared to tell someone."

"I am. I don't know what he's gonna do to me if I tell and it's not gonna be good, I know that for a fact."

"How is he a good man to you Mom?"

"He buys me flowers on Valentine's Day, gets us gifts for our birthdays and Christmas. He got you that denim jacket you're wearing for Christmas the year before last. He does good thing, he maybe an ass but he does good things. Him and I both make money so we won't starve."

Mom works as a housekeeper at the retirement home.

"Whatever you say Mom."

I gave her a hug.