Buddies

The sidewalk was kinda empty early in the morning, other kids take the bus to school but I walk my ass over there. I prefer solitude, buses are always loud and crowded. They say everyone needs a friend, even me, a quiet country girl like me. I saw a familiar truck behind me, it was Buddy Cole's, an adult friend of mine, he's sweet and protective but has psychological issues caused by childhood abuse; That's why he's protective.

"Birdie, mornin'."

"Good morning Buddy."

"You want me to me to give you a ride, truck's heated, it's mighty chilly out?"

"No thank you, I like to walk to school. I'm warm in my jacket."

"You sure?"

"Yep, very. Thank you Buddy, as always you're very kind."

He drove slow by me while I continued to walk.

"How's your mama?"

"Ok."

"Donnie givin' you shit?"

"Sometimes."

"He's a well known asshat here in Brixton, if he lays a finger on you, come to me and I'll take care of em ok?"

"Ok, I will."

"Alrighty, you sure there's nothin' goin' on?"

"I'm sure Buddy."

"Alrighty then, have a good school day, learn new things."

"I will."

He smiled and drove away.

In my history class, I was bored out of my mind. The teacher was lecturing his ass off.

"The American Revolution was a war between the colonists and the British, the thirteen colonies, before there were fifty states, were being invaded by the British; the king ordered Britain to take over the US. Five years into the invasion, we had enough, it was wartime! In 1775, the war officially began where?"

He looked around, by that time I was staring off into space while still looking at the teacher.

"Birdie," he called on me.

I snapped out of it.

"What?"

"You weren't paying attention were you?"

"I'm paying attention."

"Well what's the answer to the question I just called on you for?"

I sighed.

"What was the question again?"

He sighed loud.

"You said you were paying attention!"

"I was, my eyes were on you the whole time."

"That doesn't mean you were paying attention, this will be on the test Birdie! You really need to pay attention in this class because I said at the beginning of the year this will be tough."

"Well don't discourage us."

"I'm not intending to, the real world itself is tough."

"I know."

"Then pay attention. I'm gonna say the answer this time, ya'll better be taking notes. In April of 1775, in Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, the colonists and the British met up, but the colonists were outnumbered and had to retreat, but the first shot started the war, it's known as 'the shot heard round the world,' that's the answer and it will be a critical question on the test."