Snapped

That afternoon, Donnie and his buddies were outside in the yard having a beer, I was farther away from them reading a book, I could hear them laughing and burping, usual redneck stuff. Mom walked out with a plate full of half cut baloney sandwiches and a folded cloth tucked under her armpit.

"Lunch is ready!" She shouted.

She handed Willy the cloth, he spread it flat on the ground, was given the plate, and set it on the blanket.

"Thanks babe," Donnie said in a loving voice.

They shared a kiss then she went back inside. I knew Donnie was pretending to be nice around his buddies. I ignored it like I always did and got back to reading.

"How you doin Birdie?" Asked a voice.

I looked up and noticed Willy looking at me.

"Fine."

"Good, you grown a bit since the last time I saw you. So, sixteen, the age of gettin' a driver's license."

"Yeah, I can't wait to learn to drive, it's gonna be fun!"

The guys laughed.

"Donnie, you can teach her in your truck."

"No, she's better off havin' her mama teach her, plus I can't afford a new truck if she damages it, her mama can buy another one cheaper than a hot dog on a stick," Donnie said.

"At least she can afford a decent vehicle Donnie, having a decent rewarding job," I said.

"She can't afford one every time you put a dent in it."

"Oh come on Donnie, don't be like that, I ain't gonna put a dent in it. You two will make sure I don't crash the car, because that's a part of teaching someone how to drive."

Donnie chuckled.

"You're funny. It's not that I don't trust you-"

"It's exactly what it is!"

"My truck don't have insurance, your mama's car does, you see what I mean?"

"Sure."

A while later, the guys were gonna cut the tree down, the tree was quite far from me so I was safe. Willy was chopping one side and another guy was chopping the other side. They wanted it chopped down as fast as possible. I continued reading until I heard some snaps.

"Timber!" Willy shouted.

The other guys were cackling. 

"Birdie!" 

Within a couple seconds, I was dragged off very quickly, like I was being saved. The tree landed right on my book. I gasped as we both plumped ourselves on the ground. I turned to see who saved me.

Donnie!

I had mixed reactions, he saved me or it was a charade to impress his buddies! I bet if it was just me and him, he would let me get crushed. But no, the tree was cut down and I'd be crushed like a can but no, Donnie got me out of there. I was confused as an old geezer with Alzheimer's.

"Are you ok?" Donnie asked.

"Do I look ok!?"

I ran off into the house. Mom was gonna walk out but I passed by her.

"Honey, what happened?"

"I almost died, that's what happened."

"You were gonna get crushed?"

"Yes."

"Oh my God."

She hugged me tightly.

"I'm so glad you're safe!"

Donnie walked in.

"Girl, you got a whole lotta nerve runnin' off from me like you just did."

I was shaking from fear and confusion hanging onto Mom.

"I've been having them for five years."

"And most of all, you're not gonna thank me for what I did for you!?"

Mom froze.

"Donnie, you saved her life?"

"Yes I did, she didn't say thank you, she got upset and ran off."

"Birdie, he saved your life, you should thank him."

Mom looked like she was happy that he saved me but I wasn't having it. Mom gave him a big hug. Is she serious right now?

"Birdie, he saved you, thank him."

"Mom...really...after all he-"

"Birdie, thank him right now," she said sternly.

"...Thank you for saving me Donnie."

He smirked as I left.

"You're welcome."

I walked to me room and cried.

That evening I was laying on my bed, confused and pissed off.

"Birdie, dinner's ready," Mom knocked.

"I'm not hungry."

"Come eat when you're ready ok?"

"Ok."

I was left alone a for a few minutes until Donnie knocked loudly.

"Birdie get your ass in here n eat!"

"I'm not hungry!"

"You either eat now or wait til mornin'!"

"Fine!" I shouted.

"I oughtta break down the door and whip you til you're crippled-"

I heard Mom try to calm him down but I heard a slap, I was gonna go save her but it won't do us any good. I ignored everything for the rest of the night.